Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Nicer than I deserve

My birthday was a great day.  I was treated kindly by everyone.  Adam, our kids, my friends, my family, my students.

I told my students they had to be very good because it was my birthday.  I also told them when I was going to read a book to them instead of math review that I could do whatever I wanted because it was my birthday.

One of them asked, "So can we sit on our desks?"

I said, "No."

She said, "But I thought you said we could do whatever we wanted because it was your birthday."

"I can do whatever I want," I clarified.

Kate and Janelle decorated my room with helium balloons and all day I had boys batting at them.  I kept saying, "Stop messing with my balloons!"

When I got home, Mark started batting a balloon around the kitchen.  "Stop messing with my balloons!" I said.

Being a teacher and being a mother are blurry lines.

There are days, such as birthdays, that you feel appreciated though in both capacities (despite them messing with your balloons).

***

Our kids came over for dinner.  Adam picked up sandwiches and Braeden brought a birthday cake.  We enjoyed our dinner together and opened gifts and then we played Capitalism.  Braeden ended up as the king/president/whatever you call it.  I was the sewer rat.  As such I was supposed to give him my two best cards and he was supposed to give me his two worst.  He gave me an ace and 2 was high.  I said, "No Braeden, that's a good card."

He said, "You're my mom."

I told him he'd never make it as king.  He said, "I'm a benevolent king, like King Mosiah."

He's the least competitive of my three not very competitive children.

He maintained his position and I moved to the second highest position, thanks to him.

Anna ended up the sewer rat after that.

Braeden gave her two cards.  They were both 2s.

I don't think he has a future as a tycoon.

3 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I love Braeden.

Marianne said...

I love Braeden too but as one of the most competitive people in a very competitive family, I would not want to play Capitalism with him. Unless I were the sewer rat.

Olivia Cobian said...

What a lovely day for a lovely birthday girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails