Pages

Monday, June 15, 2020

Adam

We went to Salt Lake City to finalize our flooring choice.  (Although Adam was just overwhelmed by all the choices and said, "I trust you.")

He usually trusts me, but sometimes he questions me.

He asked, "So why are we getting rid of carpet, getting wood floor, and then covering it with rugs?"

I said, "Stay in your lane, bro."

That is a good all purpose response when I don't really have a good explanation.

I told him he'd like it though.

I'm not sure why I have so much ill-founded confidence about my decorating decisions, but I kind of do.  There's a lot of "trust me" and "you'll see" involved.  He just lets me because 1) he doesn't care that much and 2) he doesn't really want to be bothered.

When we were driving, Adam told me about his latest reading.  He gets interested in a topic and dives deep.  He said, "Tell me if I'm talking about qualified immunity too much."

He doesn't talk about it too much, but I have to pay attention if I'm going to follow what he says.

He talks about different law cases and different constitutional amendments and I say, "Wait, which one is that?" because I memorized the amendments for a test in high school, but I surely don't remember them now.

He told me about an article he read that he found in the footnotes of a Supreme Court decision.

I said, "How are we the same species?"

Once when we were dating and both doing our homework, he was reading all the footnotes and I said, "You know you don't have to read all the footnotes, right?"

He looked at me like I had said, "You know you don't have to be honest, right?"

He said, "That's where all the good stuff is."

I skim when I read and am bossy about decorating.  He reads the footnotes and then he reads articles mentioned in the footnotes.

We're different, but it works.

We know how to get along.  At a drive thru, I told Adam I didn't want a drink.  He ordered a soda, looked over at me and said, "Yeah, make it a large."

I said, "Did you order a large because you know I'm going to drink some of it?"

He said, "Yes."

It works.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails