Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Idyllic mornings

I try to time my morning walks in the sweet spot between the cougars are no longer prowling and it's not too hot.

About a month ago there was an early morning cougar in our next door neighbors' backyard so yeah...I think about it.

Lately 7:00 feels about perfect.  I put in earbuds and listen to my favorite podcasts.  I smell the flowers and feel the mist rising from sprinklers in yards I pass.  I duck under leafy branches of trees that spill onto my path.  I see a handful of people I know, also out for either walks or runs.  We wave hello and good morning and carry on.

It's one of my favorite parts of the day.

And I know that many people don't have the opportunity to take a lovely walk in a super safe (except, you know, the cougar) neighborhood.  I never see police but I would never imagine they would suspect me of anything as I stroll along listening to my podcast.

I used to not totally understand the term white privilege but I think I grasp it more now.

I don't apologize for being white and for my privilege because I was born white.  I am not doing anything wrong by being white.

I am sorry that everyone can't feel safe the way I do though.

I truly am sorry for that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails