Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2020

I can't be something I'm not

A few years ago Olivia gave me some fleece scraps leftover from something.  They were Seahawks patterned so she thought of us.

I stashed them in the closet in my office until I would be quarantined and ready to tackle some projects.  (Or something like that.)

I can't be something I'm not, so I started in with abandon.  I had no idea how much fleece there was--a bagful?  I started cutting the strips into more or less the same widths then I started sewing them together in longer strips.  It seemed like it wouldn't be enough for an entire blanket so I found a small green fleece blanket that we'd had forever and I cut it into strips and sewed them along with the Seahawks fleece.  It was in no way symmetrical.

Adam said it was fine.  He said it wouldn't matter in its capacity as a blanket to snuggle under while watching TV.  He understands who I am.

Braeden and Anna came over and Braeden said, "Hey, that's my green blanket."

Oops.

So then I decided to give the finished product to Braeden.  Maybe that would absolve me from cutting his green blanket into strips (crooked strips).

I sewed a back onto the blanket.  The fabric for the back (a navy blue flat sheet from Target) is not stretchy and the fleece definitely is.  So now in addition to not being symmetrical, the poor blanket doesn't lay flat.

It's fine.  No one around here expects anything close to perfection from me.

Except then I started thinking more about giving the blanket to Braeden (and Anna).  Anna's mom, Amy, can actually sew.  She made Anna a gorgeous denim picnic blanket for a bridal shower gift.  It was both symmetrical and laid flat.  I started up an inferiority complex as I was finishing up the blanket, sewing not straight lines through it to make the misshapen thing less shifty.

I decided to give it to Braeden anyway.  He can snuggle under it and watch a Seahawks game some day and think about his mother who commandeered his blanket and made it into a wonky creation but loves him all the same.

The finished product in all its glory:


I apologize to my mom who tried to teach me to sew.

5 comments:

Geri said...

Go Hawks! Braeden will love it.

Mark Dahl said...

I think it is just fine Thelma. Who cares if sewing isn't your thing. At least all of your wrapping paper matches your ribbon. Mine doesn't. And your home matches. Mine doesn't. Your mom

I really think he will love the blanket.

Olivia Cobian said...

It looks wonderful! Who says you can't sew?

Olivia Cobian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olivia Cobian said...

I removed my comment because I accidentally put it twice. I didn't change my mind about anything.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails