Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Friends are the gift that keeps giving

Thirty one years ago, we slept a few feet away from each other in a cinder block dorm room.  A computer matched us up in college as roommates, but Erin and I will be friends forever. 

She reads my blog (Hi, Erin!) and texted me awhile ago, asking if she could send gloves to my students.  It was such a kind gesture and meant so much to me!

I said, "Yes!"  I was fully expecting black stretchy gloves, like you see everywhere, but in perfect Erin fashion, she got them very brightly colored gloves that they loved.  

Yesterday, we had a fresh layer of snow.  I assembled my class and I told them about Erin and I said, "She sent you a gift!"  

They were wide-eyed. "What did she send?  What is it?"

I opened the package and showed them the gloves and they cheered and started claiming which color they wanted.  Since it isn't my first rodeo, I picked sticks and they got to choose colors in the order their name was called.  They are used to that routine and everyone got gloves they were happy with.

A few of them switched a glove with friends so they had mismatched pairs, which was very exciting.  They wore them through math.  Here's a little friend skip counting on his fingers, with gloves on.


It delighted me and warmed my heart completely to have someone do something so kind for these students I love.

They are exhausting and maddening and try my patience to no end.

But I love them. And I love Erin for loving them too.


4 comments:

Marianne said...

Erin is so wonderful!

Mark Dahl said...

Erin is great. And you are too, Thelma.

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me cry! I love Erin too!

Geri said...

What an example of acting on a good idea. Way to go Erin.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails