Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Humming along

 I dreamt all night about teaching math.  As good as my class is this year at reading, it is not the same story with math!  I had tried several versions of a three digit with regrouping addition quiz with lots of reteaching and practice in between and I could not get to mastery with my students.

Also, in my dream, I knew that there was a magical way to teach math, but it was just out of my reach.

All night long.

Yesterday I tried again and they finally got it!  

Yipee!

I am also happy that every day, we are sliding more and more into a routine.  They are understanding my systems and things are humming.

After school we had a faculty meeting and we are starting collective efficacy groups.  We were assigned and as I sat with my group, I was pleased with who I was assigned to.  Lacey sat down and said, "This is a good group."

Emily sat down and said, "I am happy to see the faces in this group."

So we have that going for us.

(Oaklee said she hates fighting and I promised her we wouldn't fight.) 

Before we met with our groups, we had a very intense discussion about boundary changes and school closures.

At the end of the discussion, Matt said, "Are there any more questions?"

I said, "This seems kind of anticlimactic after school closures, but I have a question about RIDER tickets.  (Our school-wide behavior system.)

Every teacher has been asking each other about it and I said I would ask at the meeting.  

I am one of the oldest teachers so I am motherly towards them and also not afraid to raise my hand and ask a question.

We got our answer and my group talked about our collective efficacy.  I made it back into my classroom with enough time to get handwriting sorted and to have our IT guy come and fix a broken computer. 

After dinner, I went with Adam to a park for disc golf with the youth.  If you think I played disc golf, have we met?  But I walked around and chatted and it was a beautiful evening.

Adam and I both thought the park reminded us of "spaceship park" in Connecticut (named by preschooler, Braeden).  It is in American Fork, but the tall trees block the mountains and that rarely happens around here.  Usually, the mountains are the backdrop, full stop.

I love living in a beautiful place and I love this less surface of the sun, but still nice and warm time of year.

This is all to say, it was a good day.

No comments: