Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Migraine, party of one

 Yesterday was day two of a headache that felt worse as time passed.  It was one of those days when I count the hours until I can lie down.  (In 12 hours I can lie down.  Now, in 11 1/2 hours I can lie down.)

Not great.  I mustered all my "It's this day, not me, that's bound to go away" energy.  I was going to make it.

Then, in the morning, one of the office ladies brought me a new student.  Zero warning.  A new student takes a lot of cheerfulness and pep.  I had neither, but I had a brand new student who looked terrified and it was up to me to make her feel welcome.  Happily, after my initial, "I'm Mrs. Davis and I am so glad you're here.  Here's a desk and hang your backpack there," one of my girls stepped in and gave her a friendship bracelet and said, "I can tell we're going to be friends!"

I love kids so much.

We got through the day with students helping to explain all the things to the new student and me white knuckling through it all.  Right before lunch, my headache was really awful.  I felt nauseous.  After taking my class to the lunchroom, I went in my classroom and turned off the lights and then the power went off.  I thought if we couldn't have school, it would be about the best thing to happen to me.

The power came back on before my students were back from lunch.  (There is still a lot of construction going on and I think that is why we lost power. ) 

The power went off later in the afternoon, but only for a few minutes.  

It really was that sort of a day.  

Kim and I walked after a long hiatus and I think that was helpful.  My headache felt more manageable as the evening continued.  I slept a lot last night and that was what I needed most.

So far no headache has killed me.

I like my odds.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

That sounds like such a grueling day! I'm glad you have not yet succumbed to the headaches!

Marianne Johnson said...

Hope you feel better!