Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Compare and contrast

 Since I have a one line a day journal, I know that last year on this day, I was still waiting to get my PET scan and surgery scheduled.  I was a mess emotionally and I didn't feel well.

Things are, gratefully, so different this year health wise.  I am not cured, but I am better and don't have anything scary hanging over me.

Last year, I mostly sat on the Buddy Bench during recess duty because I was so tired.  Now I walk around and chat and break up fights and tell them to stay away from the bees.

My class is different too.  Last year was a refiner's fire I guess because it was the school year of not fun things.

Last year, when I was walking my class down the hall, it seemed like the loud circus was in town.  This year, my class follows me down the hall like a little silent row of ducklings.  They are just...civilized.  

Last year my kiva was constantly getting knocked around and I was constantly adjusting it.  This year it just stays in its spot.

Last year, when I would ask the specialty teachers how my class had behaved, they would give me an exasperated, "Not well."  This year, they say things like, "Excellent!" and "They were great!"

Last year, I had a student who was nonverbal, a student who spoke no English, several boys who were wild and raucous.  I had major behavior problems.  I had lots of kids who couldn't read much of anything.

Yesterday, I had them read their story aloud and I went around and listened in.  They were all just dutifully sitting there...and reading.

I don't even know what to think about that.  

Last year we had wild temperature swings.  Sometimes it was so hot and miserable.  Now it is cold.  Still miserable, but different.

Eventually, hopefully, they will get it fixed and I think I will be sitting pretty.

No comments: