As a teacher I interact with a lot of mothers. Or try to. I have a student whose mother is proving impossible for me to communicate with. I've tried everything I can think of. She doesn't speak English and I'm not sure her literacy level, so you can see the trouble. Also, this same student's dad was deported recently so I really don't know their day to day.
I can only assume she is doing her best.
I had a mother message me last week about the mistreatment of her student. I could feel the frustration and sadness and anger in her message. I felt a little trepidation about reaching out to the mother of the other student, because "your child has been mean" is not always well received.
The other mother rose to the occasion with flying colors. She told me that she was sorry and her student would apologize and they would definitely follow up.
When parents choose to partner with teachers, it is a good thing and makes all the difference.
In some ways I think it is easier to mother adult children, while in other ways it is also way (way) harder. You can't step in and take over.
Well, sometimes you can.
Mark has had a lot of trouble getting one of his several prescriptions filled. It was out of stock, then they lost his prescription, then he had his doctor resubmit the prescription, then they said they were out of stock again.
I called the pharmacy during my lunchtime.
I brought all the mama bear energy I have honed over the last 29 years. I was polite, but also not going to give up and I think we all realized that.
They told me they could get the prescription. I said, "He's coming right now." I called Mark and he soon texted me this.
I learned it from my own mom. There comes a point when you just have to.
There are fewer and fewer times that I can/need to insert myself.
For those times, I'll stay ready.
2 comments:
I love how appreciative Mark is! Also, does the non-native English speaker speak Spanish? I would be so happy to call her for you.
Good job!
Post a Comment