Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Friends

Last night Jeff and Patty and Olivia and Amelia came to visit. They’re our friends from San Francisco.



Nine years ago we lived next door to them for six months. I think it was love at first sight and we’ve been it-doesn’t-matter-how-long-it’s-been-you-can-talk-late-into-the-night friends ever since.

We just adore them.



So yesterday afternoon, I had to do some sprucing up around our house. Things like stuff the shirts to be ironed into the closet and out of sight. Friendships based on deceit and mythical homemaking skills are the best kind. I had no time to iron because I had to set the scene.

a little ambiance



Setting the scene is one of my favorite things to do. I love how guests give me an excuse for breaking out the napkin ring holders.

Once they arrived, Olivia and Amelia were whisked away to Emma’s room where they soon had applied my makeup on their faces in zealous ways.

Braeden hung on every word of Adam and Jeff’s sustained conversation, interjecting enough to satisfy his curiosity about Jeff’s military career.

Mark popped around like popcorn in various costume changes.

And Patty and I just talked. About Everything.


“We are friends and I do like to pass the day with you in serious and inconsequential chatter. I wouldn't mind washing up beside you, dusting beside you, reading the back half of the paper while you read the front. We are friends and I would miss you, do miss you and think of you very often.”

Jeanette Winterson



P.S. Thank you good Adam for cleaning up the kitchen after I went to bed last night. It's not possible to bluff my housekeeping skills with a husband. Thanks for being OK with that.

1 comment:

lifeatthewhitehouse said...

I also love to have any excuse to dress up the place for my friends. I think it makes them feel special, or know that they are special enough to me to go the extra mile. My mom always taught me that when you set the table properly, it shows your family/guests that you love them.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with your friends. Friends like that are worth all the effort of keeping in touch with!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails