Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Feeling Pretty Safe

Yesterday we cleaned out our garage. Phew. It's an easier sentence to type than it was a task to complete. We sifted through too small shoes and mismatched gloves and got rid of a bunch of stuff. A lot of what we got rid of were things given to us in an act of "here you throw this away."

note to self: say no thanks next time

This was monumental though: Adam decided it was time to bid a fond adieu to his hiking boots. The ones he's had since high school.

Adam is not what I would call a pack rat or even very sentimental. There are a few things however, that he holds onto. Mostly they're things he values because they've served him well and faithfully and it's hard to let them go.

Allow me to illustrate:


These are Adam's scriptures. He takes them to church every Sunday. He reads from them to our children every night. He used them as a seminary student in high school. He took them to Finland. They are marked and cross referenced in his tiniest neatest handwriting. And he's had them since he was eight. Yes, eight.

I have on more than one occasion recommended he get a new set.

You may know about our Saturn and Adam's affection for it. It's every bit as dog eared as Adam's beloved scriptures yet Adam drives it on.

So what does this all mean to me?

I feel pretty safe.

I am quite sure that Adam will not decide to trade me in for a younger sleeker model. He'll hang onto me when I'm old and in tatters.

And that's a good feeling.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad Adam's hanging on to you. Edgar's always looking for the new next thing. What does that mean about me?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails