Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mother Bear

Today I was sitting in my school room, correcting grammar tests when I heard a scream of holy terror outside. Since all of my three were outside I immediately lifted the blinds. What I saw were three boys, slightly older than Braeden, chasing one of Mark's triplet friends. I couldn't tell which one it was because he was riding away on his bike, pumping his little legs for all he was worth while the older boys were whooping and giving chase on their scooters.

I wondered if I should intervene but Holden/Payton/Hunter had made it to safety because the boys had come back to the empty cul de sac across from my house.

Next I heard them starting to yell again. I glanced out my window and this time it was Braeden riding his bike down the hill towards our house. They were taunting him, begging for a fight. Braeden's always been a lover instead of a fighter and he calmly rode his bike into the garage without so much as a glance their way.

Now I REALLY didn't know what to do. Would I embarrass Braeden if I said something? If I didn't say something would the next victim of their taunts be Mark who still had to come home from Gavin's? Would Mark tackle them headlong and get beat up in the process? (He's much more of a fighter than a lover...always has been.)

The mother bear won the inner turmoil.

I opened my front door and saw the biggest boy walking into the garage, still trying to get to Braeden. I heard him say, in the sneering voice of a bully, "So you're not a fighter?"

Then he turned and saw me.


I said, "I saw you guys chasing one of the triplets earlier. I know you think it's funny, but it's not. He's little and was scared."

The boy looked sheepish and guilty and said, "He doesn't mind..."

I said, "Really?"

He swallowed hard and nodded.

I said, hands on hips, "Well, don't mess with my kids."

All three kids nodded vigorously and made their way up the street and away from my house.

I still didn't know if I did the right thing. Did I embarrass Braeden by stepping in when he was handling it fine on his own? Braeden seemed unruffled. He came inside looking for a drink and snack and wondering if he could watch TV. I asked him if those boys had messed with him before and he said no and shrugged. It was no big deal.

So maybe it wasn't.

Just another reminder that this parenting stuff is not easy. It never was. Probably never will be.

4 comments:

Janet said...

There is not much one can do once the 'mother bear' has been summoned. What can we say, it's in our DNA. Who were those boys anyway!?!

Melanee said...

The things I have to look forward to in the coming years. You don't think about all of this when we are just excited to feel the baby start to kick. Whoa, there's a lot more to it. I don't think I'm ready.

Enoch said...

Is that the dirty look referenced in the post above? I think I've seen that look a time or two...I think it was very appropriate in this case. Nicely done.

Gwilliam Fam said...

You go momma bear! I'm going to have to reign mine in b/c I am always intervening....not w/ my kids so much (yet--hopefully I can control myself) but any situation that needs an adult. Get away little bullies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails