Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Hummy

As I may have mentioned, we've been having a bit of Winnie the Pooh re immersion around here...and we've been introducing our kids to the original stories. (Only in bits and snatches though because their rooms have to be clean at night in order for Adam to read and that really doesn't happen very often.)

The other night Adam congratulated me on our children's reaction to the story he'd read them that left them laughing and laughing. He said, "You are doing something right because they got it."

I don't know if an appreciation for A.A. Milne is the gold standard of good parenting or if I can even take the credit for such an appreciation.

But I will.

I'll take all the credit I can get.

And Winnie the Pooh has been influencing me lately too.

I have tried to internalize this:

If you want to make a song more hummy, add a few tiddely poms.

Last night we had dinner by candlelight.


Everyone wondered why. I said, "Because we can."

I was snapping pictures of my unsuspecting family during dinner and they wondered why.



I told them it was a social experiment.

Blank looks on their faces.

I said, "I want to see if it's more hummy."

Blank looks.

"If I add more tiddely poms."

(They're pretty long suffering.)

Here are other tiddely poms I've added though...little things that aren't that big of deal but do indeed make things more hummy.



I really really love reading to my children and sometimes, in the crush of busy days, I let it slide. Well I really love doing it. And I'm not going to let it slide anymore.



On Saturday when I made Mark chocolate cupcakes (just because, that's why) I let him dye the frosting different colors. He stirred, I frosted, we both ate.



I've also started letting Mark get his favorite blanket and read his phonics sentences in a warm nest on my bed. I snuggle in with him and read to him there also.

They're all small things but I'm going to try to continue on my quest. To add more tiddely poms. To make things more hummy.

Because who doesn't like hummy?

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

You've inspired me. I'm going to look for some tiddley poms to add.

Olivia Cobian said...

I mean tiddely poms.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails