Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chocolate Dessert

my mom


I'm having a family dinner party tomorrow. I was asking Olivia what I should make for dessert. (Because you've got to start with dessert and work your way up from there...you also need to ask your sisters about the minutiae of life...it's part of the job description.)

Olivia said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "Chocolate dessert. Everyone loves it."

And that's true.

We were raised on chocolate dessert and my sisters and I could probably make it blindfolded without arms. We've made it that many times.

So today I'm making chocolate dessert and thinking about my mom.

I am thinking about all of the things she taught me in her big kitchen with the mismatched dishes (that sort of drove me crazy).

She taught me to cook. She taught me to clean up after myself. She taught me to work together. She taught me that she needed me to help.

And that mattered to me.

Today dawned rainy and blustery and I felt like a growl-y bear. I think it's called Too Much Together Time with my children. I was trying to plan the next week's school work (which I'm supposed to do on Friday but never seems to happen). They were in and out of the schoolroom, up and down the stairs, teasing each other, making noise, asking me when it could be their turn on the computer.

I retreated where I retreat to...Adam.

He gathered me in his arms and told me it was going to be OK and what did I want him to do?

Mostly take the children away.

So he has. They're planning a concoction for dinner and are shopping for it and visiting grandma and are happy.

And so am I in my quiet kitchen to make chocolate dessert.

Except I'm thinking of my mom. And how she taught me to work. She didn't send me away.

Even though she had mismatched dishes, who's the better mother here?

I feel chastised.

As I was making the dessert, I realized how really simple it is. Not very fancy or complicated like a lot of the things that frequented my mom's kitchen.

Then it hit me.

My mom wasn't making fancy desserts, she was raising daughters.



And it was simple enough for us to make.

Sheesh. I still have a lot to learn.

Lessons from my mother's big kitchen with mismatched dishes (that sort of drove me crazy).

Chocolate Dessert

1 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
1 c. chopped nuts
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
1 small package chocolate instant pudding
3 c. milk

Mix flour, butter and nuts. Press into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Beat together cream cheese and sugar. Add 1/2 Cool Whip. Spread on cooled crust. Mix puddings and milk. Beat 2 minutes. Spread on cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until set. Spread with remaining Cool Whip and garnish with chocolate shavings.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

This made me cry. I'm sure the Chocolate Dessert was a smashing success!

Anonymous said...

This made me cry too. Love, the other sister

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails