Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Our Olympic Adventure


We had a great time!

Didn't get lost, didn't have to abort the mission and drown our sorrows in IKEA meatballs and lignonberry sauce.

The night before we left, Mark was invited (along with our family) to the Blue and Gold banquet because he's turning eight this year and will be a cub scout soon.  He got a bronze medal there for bean bag throwing (we were proud).  He fell in love with his medal and hasn't taken it off since.

He wore it to Vancouver.

Mark and Adam on the SkyTrain...a good way to maneuver around Vancouver

Contrary to the name, we were mostly underground.  It felt and sounded like the Tube in London.  Except for without the jet lag.

We cross country skiied:



You competed against your partner and I hate to brag...but I beat Emma.  Just so you know.

Our kids were brilliant on the bobsled:

 

Well, I'm sure they would have been if it hadn't been stationary.

We watched some live coverage on the big screen:




And interacted with interactive media:



Mark is an all or nothing sort of kid. Not too far into our adventure, Mark got tired and cold and ready to go home.  My dad (also Mark) was always the first one done having fun before the rest of us on family outings.  (Which is the nice way of saying he got cranky.)

I think my Mark has more capacity for crankiness than my dad Mark.


I told him, "You remind me of Grandpa Dahl."

He said, "The difference is, when Grandpa Dahl wants to go home, he has the keys to his car."

True, true.

I bargained with Mark that I'd buy him a cup of hot chocolate if he'd cheer up.  He agreed so I bought him hot chocolate.  A $4 cup of hot chocolate.  A $4 cup of hot chocolate that was worth every cent because it had the desired effect.

this kid loves to kiss cheeks...luckily his teen-aged brother doesn't mind

We rode the ferry to North Vancouver...mostly just for the adventure.

It was pretty and relaxing.

Here I am pictured with my flame (and the Olympic flame).


There were lots of photo opportunities.  Holding the torch was my favorite, I think.

 

  

 


We were outside the stadium when Canada played Russia in a hockey match? game?  Those Canadians love their hockey.

When Canada scored, you could not only hear the reverberations in your bones, but in your soul.  


This is as close as we got to the action but it was exciting, even for someone that doesn't know if it's called a match or a game.

There were sights to see and interesting art everywhere.  I liked these paper lanterns that were drawn by kids:

We had several more venues on our list that we didn't make it to.  We could have happily spent more time there, but we ran out of steam.


The End.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

How fun! Loved the pictures and Mark's comment about Grandpa Dahl and the keys!

The Fab 4 From Washington said...

We are so glad that you guys had a great time on your Olympic Adventure! It looks like you were able to see more of the sites then we did. You must have had a great travel agency who carefully planned out your trip! I love that Mark is wearing one of the Cub Scout Olympic medals that I made for the Blue and Gold. That made me smile! :-}

Katie said...

That is really fun. When the olympics were in Beijing, we got to go to something similar here in Hong Kong, but it was LAME. There was a room with big screens that you could watch the events live, there were a couple gift shops, and you could take pictures with the mascots. That's about it really. Glad you had a good time!

Jenkins family said...

I really must meet Mark (again). Oh the wit! I hope you are keeping a book. Can't wait to see you...8 weeks and counting... YES... counting! Hope you are well.

Susie said...

It looks like you did have one awesome time visiting the Olympic sites and being engaged in them. Love all the fun pictures too. It is a little sad that the games are coming to a close soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails