Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cousins

Every once in awhile, Emma tells me she wishes she had a sister.  She wonders if we can adopt a girl her age.

This makes me feel terrible.

While I strongly believe our family is the right size for us and while I know there are no guarantees that even if I'd had 10 children it would mean a sister for her, I still feel like I've failed her.

Because I have sisters.

But then, yesterday, I saw this picture on Jennifer's blog.  (By the way, when your brothers get married it is a quick and easy and wonderful way to get a sister...)

This picture of niece Savannah:


Reminded me of this picture of Emma:

 

And also these pictures:

 

 

Where there was water, there was Emma wanting to be in it.  (It's still that way.)

The picture reminded me that Emma has cousins.

Oh, does that girl have cousins.


 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

 


And cousins are a little bit like sisters.

Except without the hair pulling.

4 comments:

Susie said...

I feel the same way about Mackenzie and she feels like Emma she wants a sister too. I feel bad but you get what you get. Glad she has good ward friends, school friends and family like you with lots of cousins to bond with.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Emma! I've felt your sister-less pain, until about 7 years ago. When my mom got pregnant with Nick i BEGGED her to have a girl, I thought she had the choice! I cried in the ultrasound room when the technician said, its a boy! But don't worry, when you look around, think of how much STRONGER you are because of dealing with rambunctious boys all of your life! It's pretty awesome! If you need a long distance sister, you've got one right here!

Your Sister,
JEssica Thatcher

Jennifer said...

I loved this post... mostly because I fear that Savannah won't have a sister. But it makes me happy when I remember the lovely girl cousins she'll have by her side.

Baby Olivia was here yesterday visiting. I kept looking at her thinking she looked like someone else. I realized it was Emma! Olivia looks so much like Emma in some of these pictures. Beautiful, beautiful girls.

Deseret said...

The cousins around here are glad they have Emma.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails