Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Our Talent

 I'm using a loose definition of talent.  Very loose.


Adam and Braeden were at a meeting a few nights ago and Emma and Mark and I waxed creative with...wax. 


It was serious business.








Really serious.




We grated crayons.  And fingernails.






Until a scattering of crayon shavings coated most of the kitchen.  

It was messy.  

We forged on.  

We arranged our wax into complicated designs.  We sandwiched our creations between waxed paper and then layered scratch paper...mostly old math assignments on top...and ironed them.    And ironed.


They looked nothing like our collective vision.


We forged on.  

Mark said, "This is fun."  Emma said, "It's not working but I like it."  True.  True.  Sometimes the best way to spend an evening is with children and cheese graters and crayons.  Sometimes it's pleasant to make spectacular messes and have nothing really to show for it.


Although I did salvage some creations into Valentines.






Homemade valentines can be lumpy and smeary and not at all what we intended.  


That's the rule.  (I made it up.)


If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort.
 Dave Weinbaum

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a fun mom! Your valentines are darling . . . oh, and that quote pretty much describes my life, little talent but I certainly try hard! I am going to write that one down for future reference. I can always count on you for applicable quotes.

Susie said...

Those are adorable Valentine Cards. Very creative I tell you. You sound like a like funnier mom then I.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails