Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why I Love It: Volcanoes

Mount Rainier--taken by my Adam while standing on Mount Adams

Most days there's a thick gray wool blanket shrouding the land around here.  There could be mountains or prairie or ocean out there for all we know.

We can't see anything in the distance.

Except for some trees.

Then, on those glorious sunny days, the clouds leave, someone folds the wool blanket and puts it on a shelf and we are surrounded.

Surrounded by triangle shaped volcano mountains.

As many times as I've seen them, they are never commonplace.  I always catch my breath just a little and say, "Look at Mount Baker!"  "Look at Mount Rainier!"  They are stunning.  Made all the more stunning because I think we sort of forget that while we've been ducking around below the clouds, avoiding puddles, they are there the whole time.  Reigning supreme.  Encouraging us, when the gray lifts, to look up.

Look up!

Mount Rainier--picture swiped from the internet...I couldn't find a photo credit

Mount Baker--again, shamelessly swiped

one of my favorite pictures of Adam's:  August 2006 at Mount Baker

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails