Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Decided

Adam is the contemplative yin to my impatient yang.  Also we each sort of have our domains around here.  In addition to his green green lawn, his domain is electronics.

When we decide we are going to purchase something like an appliance or piece of furniture, I'm in the driver's seat.  I may shop around.  I may look at Consumer Reports.  I may take a few days.  But then the purchase will be made.

It's how I work.

When we decide to purchase something like a camera, something that even if I researched it I would only get more confused, Adam's in the driver's seat.

And this is how he works:

We decide to look for a camera.  We go to several stores.  He talks to store experts in a language I don't speak.  He eyes the goods.  He says he wants to look up some things online.

He looks online.

He says he needs to go to the store and see them in person.

We never get the camera.

This has happened for both a regular camera and video camera as well as the tent we didn't get  Braeden for Christmas.

And it's OK with me.  Not really my domain.

When this school year started, Adam and I talked about needing another computer.  Our three children and I are constantly vying for screen time during school.  We have an online school.  While I need to mark attendance and record progress and teach Mark his online lessons, Braeden needs to read his online science lesson and Emma needs to take an online vocabulary test.  It's a pain.  There's a lot of disappearing acts that go on.  Children evaporate while waiting for the computer and when they're called to task (and told to close that book and come back to school), they say that they need the computer.

So we were going to buy a new computer.  COMPLETELY Adam's domain.

So we looked.  Online and at the Apple Store.

And Adam deliberated.

And I sort of forgot about it.

Last night, Adam and I were making dinner and he casually said, "What are we doing after dinner?"

I told him we could drop by some stuff for Deseret Industries at the stake center (if he was in a mood for exciting adventure, that is).

He said, "Do you want to go get a computer?"

"Really?"

"Well, what do you think?  Don't you want one?"

Sometimes (always) I really love that guy.

So we told the kids they could read in bed and hightailed it out of there.  The girl at the Apple Store (who I infinitely respect because of her computer savvy) had such crooked teeth I felt like she should be one of our children and I should take her along with the others to Dr. Stieber.  She sold us the most darling little MacBook.



I adore it.

At least I will once Adam gets all my stuff transferred from our other computer to it.

His domain.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails