Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Princess and the Pea

I’ve seen quizzes, “Which Disney Princess Are You?”  I know she’s not a Disney Princess, but I am the princess from The Princess and The Pea.  Just ask my back and neck and this miserable bed.

Yesterday I felt hazy and like I was recovering from a cross Atlantic flight.  Severely jet lagged.  It was a combination of feeling a little sick, feeling an abundance of the Spirit (which also made me cry periodically) and the miserable bed thing.

It’s been wonderful though.  I have enjoyed everything from the flight with my mother-in-law, to being with her and my mom and sisters, to learning Real and Important things, to visiting the bookstore in the name of stimulating the economy, to seeing my dear cousin Hannah, to visiting with Ammon and Melanee and the captivating Cormac.

One highlight has been to see my longtime friend Lisa and her sister Emily.  Lisa and I were friends in Connecticut back when I only had Braeden and she only had Davis.  We’ve added children and distance and years but the friendship is the same.  We caught up on our lives and children and when I was talking to her about Linn’s passing last September, I burst into unexpected tears.  It’s not like I haven’t talked about it or cried about it enough already (I have).  I couldn’t understand the surge of emotion.

I realized it’s Lisa though.  When you’re met with the face of an enduring friend who Understands and loves you, it’s hard to leave your feelings buried beneath the of veneer of “everything’s great.”  That I could be such a friend!

Last night my mom took us all to dinner at an Italian restaurant I love but all I felt like was drinking a Sprite (see, feeling a little sick).  I did manage to rouse my appetite for one of Melanee’s famously loved brownies when we visited their home.






I miss Adam and my children (and my bed) but I have enjoyed talking with them.  Mark told me Adam bought an “entire chicken” from Costco and he found the “witch bone”.  Somehow, even across the Verizon network, Mark is able to convey his unabashed enthusiasm for everything.   When we talked last night, they told me about playing barefoot on the lawn in the balmy spring weather.

I woke up to this:




SNOW!?!?

It’s the first snow I’ve seen up close and personal all year.  I love snow…in December.  On April 30, not so much.

There is nothing like Women’s Conference to make me appreciate Adam.  He expertly fills my role when I’m gone and generously encourages me to enjoy my time.

Also, he doesn’t wince too much about the bookstore.

 

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I'm glad you had fun at Womens' Conference. I get to go in two years. Sorry about the snow. It's sad. It is actually here, right now, on May 1rst.

Katie said...

I'm glad you're having a great time. I wish I was in the US so I could go to. (You know, and see my family and all that, lol.) Hope you feel better soon!

Hannah Stevenson said...

Oh Thelma,
It was so wonderful to see you again(it's always wonderful)and to have just a few moments together. I just love you so much! I'm glad you survived the bed and the snow and being sick and still had a wonderful time. And I agree there's nothing like Women's Conference to make you appreciate and love your man!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails