Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Philanthropy and The Thrill of the Hunt

In preparation for our neighborhood garage sale, Emma had been braiding friendship bracelets and stringing bead necklaces all week.  She wanted to sell them and give the money to charity.  She and her Nevada cousins did that a few summers ago and Emma's been in love with the idea ever since.

It didn't matter what kind of cautions I gave about inclement weather and tepid customer volume.  You can't really tell Emma much when she has her mind set.

So early on Saturday morning she and Mark headed out.  It was a blustery--but not rainy!--day.  Braeden also hit the road.  He lives for the neighborhood garage sale.  He wheels and deals and talks to everyone.

He came home with four folk art puzzles for me that he'd purchased for $.25 each. (I like folk art puzzles and he knows it.  I'm building up quite a collection...from Braeden.)  He also bought a gun, light saber and staff for Mark.  So he's outfitted with further plastic weaponry.  Braeden bought nothing for himself but that doesn't matter.  The fun for him is in the adventure and chatting with people.

I decided to go out for a walk and to visit Emma and see how she was faring (she'd set up shop up the hill where there was more traffic).  On the way there I met up with my boys.  Braeden told me he thought she was getting discouraged.  Mark was bubbling over with success at selling his "friend James' mom" some toys.  He said, "I gave her a deal because I know her.  I told her that I'd give a deal to whoever I knew."

We passed a little table full of shivering girls selling lemonade and brownies.  I bought a dollar's worth.

When I found Emma, she was seated on the sidewalk, her wares spread out and Braeden was right.  She looked dejected.  I asked her if I could buy something and near tears, she said, "Yes!  I haven't sold ONE thing."

I gave her a brownie...



and bought two necklaces and a bracelet.

ignore the freckles...I can't help it

After that I convinced her to close up shop and go exploring with me.  Mark wanted to go with the triplets so Braeden and Emma and I went in pursuit of treasure.  


Braeden with his cap on backwards, was our spokesperson.  He loves to talk to people and I...don't.  He'd ask "how much?" for everything that tickled our fancy.

Against my better judgment, I relented to Emma purchasing an enormous stuffed tiger.


I let her buy it on condition that she would get rid of the equal volume of stuffed animals.  She brought me this pile.


Done!  I've been trying to get rid of that stuff for years!


3 comments:

Janet said...

Oh! I feel so bad. I didn't know that Emma had set up shop by OUR house--I thought she was at your house and didn't think we could afford the the time a trek down to your house would take (especially with all the garage sale distractions). Now I just feel awful! :( We could have taken a few minutes to walk out our door to contribute to her good cause. I was too busy trying to get my kids to do their homework and chores to even notice what was going on outside. It sounds like Emma might have some items left--I would love to make an appointment with her to purchase some of her lovely jewelry. Let me know when would be a good time.

Olivia Cobian said...

Each of your children is so dear. I love Emma's generous heart. If she is still selling, bring something to Women's Conference and I'll buy.

Deseret said...

Go Emma! Sorry she didn't sell much! I LOVE the tiger! Tell her to bring the stuff when she comes to NV and we can have an awesome Tina Trampa leana show-jelery sail!!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails