Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Everyday World

Lately I've been negligent at remembering to be grateful.

Which is too bad because I have a lot to be happy about.

In Reader's Digest (which I love to read and am grateful to my parents for the gift of the subscription every year),  I read their list of Ten Wonders of the Everyday World:

At his website, 1000awesomethings.com, Neil Pasricha catalogs the really little pleasures. He has collected 200 of them in The Book of Awesome: Snow Days, Bakery Air, Finding Money in Your Pocket, and Other Simple, Brilliant Things Here, we've collected 10 of our faves.
1. Wearing underwear just out of the dryer
2. When cashiers open up new checkout lines at the grocery store
3. Intergenerational dancing
4. Paying with exact change
5. Fixing electronics by smacking them
6. High fiving babies
7. The other side of the pillow
8. Snow days
9. Bakery air
10. Finding money in your pocket


I can't decide which on this list is my favorite.  When I think about gratitude, I typically think of the big (and important) things:  Adam, our children, our families, health, security, etc.

Sometimes it's nice to think of other things.

Things that won't make or break me but just...

make

life

good.




Something NOT everyday that I'm grateful about.  Last night after a long, tense, I'm-behind-on-my-to-do-list sort of day, I asked Braeden and Emma to make dinner.  I had planned to make shepherd's pie which is easy.


They readily agreed.


I started to tell Emma how to do it.


She said, "I know," in her give-me-a-little-credit tone of voice.


And she did.


Every once in awhile, these kids seem like they are going to pay off.



1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Though my kids aren't making dinner yet, I can trust them to be in the yard with Marcos--a great blessing. The little guy loves being outside. This older sibling thing is really working out well. Thanks for the reminder to look for the little things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails