Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Braeden's sister


Because Braeden asked his director if she could, Emma was on the crew of Bye Bye Birdie.  Emma loved being part of it.  She said, "Braeden always takes me backstage to meet people and this is the first time I felt like I belonged and wasn't being somewhere I wasn't supposed to be."

Moving the set piece she's in front of, the behemoth upstairs bedroom, was one of Emma's jobs.  From the looks of it, it was pretty heavy.  She's a strong girl and it took all she had and a few other girls to help her.

I could see her urgency and anxiety by her body language when the lights were out and she was moving set pieces.  I always knew which girl was mine.  In one of the performances, something was accidentally removed from the stage and Emma noticed the mistake and quickly brought it back out.

Braeden said she'd saved the show.

He's a big fan of hers but so am I.  When the crew came out the last performance for a curtain call, I stood up and cheered.

"That's my girl!"

(OK, I didn't yell that, but I thought it.)

The last night, for the set strike, there was a list of jobs posted on the stage door.



(It's not unusual for Braeden's name to be misspelled and I don't mind but it is always surprising to me that people misspell Braeden's name Breaden.  Don't they know that when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking?  Then I remember words like break.  Then I remember that the English language is tricky.  It is not for wimps.)

Emma was slightly irked that she was listed as "Braeden's sister." I told her she could do worse.  And it's true.  On the other hand, we're all hoping a certain teacher of Braeden's (that doesn't appreciate his...humor) will not connect her as Braeden's sister next year.

Sometimes it's nicer to be known as Braeden's sister than other times.

5 comments:

Marianne said...

"Don't have name" ??? What kind of English do they speak up there?

Thelma said...

It's teenage boy English. I think the stage manager wrote the list.

Ammon said...

"This is our daughter Dottie. And this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister."

Mark Dahl said...

Emma, I understand. Today on the carriage ride I was told what a great job my husband did in the play last night. I wonder if she knew I was the one playing opposite him. At least Emma was called something. I am the one whose husband does so well I guess.

Olivia Cobian said...

Good job, Emma!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails