Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Teamwork

1- I am a planner.  I always have a plan in mind and it is slightly unsettling to me when my plans get changed.

2- Adam is not much of a planner.  He is also quite spontaneous.

3- I am a decisive shopper.  I do thinking/planning/researching before I shop then I have a pretty clear picture of what I want and when I find it, I don't want to beat around the bush.  I just want to buy whatever it is.

4- Adam is not a very decisive shopper.  He has been "buying a new BBQ" for about three years.  He walks in and out of stores.  He mulls things over.  He hesitates and deliberates.

We have been wanting a new couch.  Our living room couch was a hand-me-down from someone and we've appreciated it.  It's white.  (Need I go on?) Also, the scale is over-sized for the room.  Also, it's less comfortable than it used to be.  I found a brand I liked and we went to a store on Saturday to look.  We weren't completely satisfied so we didn't buy anything.  We still liked the brand so we found some more stores that carried them.  One of the stores was in Mt. Vernon which is north of us.  We looked and the store closes at 6:00 p.m. every evening.  So, it didn't look like we'd be going during the week.

Yesterday afternoon, Adam called me on his way home from work.  He was earlier than usual.  We chatted and then he said, "Hey, let's go to Mt. Vernon.  I think we could make it in time."  (See number two.)

I already had a plan (see number one) to take the kids swimming at the YMCA and I was going to write in the lobby while they swam.  It was a lovely plan.  I swallowed my plan though and left immediately to meet Adam so we could make it to Mt. Vernon in time.

We got to the store a little after 5:30.

Right away I liked the saleslady helping us.  She was friendly and knowledgeable and walked around very briskly on short legs.  I tried to keep up with her as she trotted around the store and I felt like I was Charlie and she was Willie Wonka.

We found a couch very similar to the first one we liked.  We found fabric we liked a lot more.  At one point, she went to see how much it would cost with that particular fabric and I said, "I like this!"

Adam said, "Well, I know we're not going to get it tonight (see number four), but I like it too."

I said, "Why not get it tonight?  We like it; we're here.  Let's get it!" (See number three.)

Adam swallowed his tendency to deliberate and mull over something and we bought the couch.

Neither one of us could have done it alone.  It took his spontaneity and my decisiveness.  Good thing opposites attract.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm waiting for a picture of the couch...do you not have it yet? Good job to you and Adam for "swallowing" and compromising along. You're a good team!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails