Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Books I read in June 2013



The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman ****

I loved this book!  We read it for book club (usually those are good books).  It is a story of a young couple, isolated on an island where he is the light keeper.  They are unable to have a baby and then find one in a shipwrecked boat.  They don't tell anyone but keep the baby.  The book is about the aftermath.  My loyalties shifted and re shifted throughout the book.  It was heartbreaking and wonderful.



Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner***

This was also a good book and the only other book I finished this month (the others were duds).  It's about Russian immigrants living in New York City.  Vaclav and Lena become friends as children.  The story is sweet and funny and tragic and uplifting all at once.



Rescue Anita Shreve *

I was interested in the premise of this book and it may be a wonderful story but I abandoned it after a few pages because the language was so crude.

Sigh.



A Partial History of Lost Causes by Jennifer Dubois *

I gave this book more of a chance because I was interested in it.  It is set in the contemporary U.S. and in the Soviet Union in the 80s.  The language was off putting in it as well.  Also it was depressing.  I think it was meant to be (lost causes and all) but if I want to be depressed, I'll watch the news.  I quit reading it.


Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan *

I didn't give this one too much of a chance.  There was too much...intimacy.  No thank you.  Also the protagonist was a woman but it's written by a man and it didn't seem true.  And also it was kind of hard to follow.  I'm not looking for homework.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails