Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Weekend at home

Adam and Emma and Mark went camping (with the rest of the Davis clan) but Braeden had to work.  I stayed home with him because I am that kind of mother.  I'm a giver.  I sacrifice.

Also, I'm glad Braeden had to work so I had someone to hang out with.  Because I wasn't going camping anyway.

I don't like to camp.

When I was growing up, my sisters and I would beg our parents to go camping.  It seemed so fun!  My dad would say, "But we have a house."

I totally get that now.

Braeden and I had lunch at home together.  I wondered when the last time it was just the two of us at home together for lunch.  Maybe before Emma was born?  Weird.

And Braeden decided he's not going to ever grow up (at least not grow any more) and leave home because he would miss me too much.  I'm not going to let him stay here forever though because I can't afford him.  He drinks way too much milk.  His mission and college will be a money saving opportunity.

OK, that entire paragraph isn't true except for the part about him drinking a lot of milk.

When Braeden was at work, I decided it was a good time for an art project.  My favorite kind of art projects are ones that elementary students could do.  They are easy and cheap and don't take long.  (When I was studying to be an elementary teacher, I took a class where all we did were elementary school art projects.  I loved that class!)

I've been delving deep into the recesses of our school room and we have a lot of crayons.  We don't have a lot of people that use crayons anymore.  I looked on pinterest for an idea for what to do with all the crayons and that pinterest, she doesn't disappoint.

I needed a canvas and I didn't have a canvas (and who wants to go to the store?) so I repainted the canvas where I wrote our summer to-do list last summer.  The words showed through a little but I didn't care too much.

I hot glued crayons onto the canvas in a nice little row.




Then I got out my blow dryer (that has become Emma's blow dryer because I blow dry my hair about once a decade) and heated up the crayons until they started to melt.


I spent hours coloring with crayons on the floor of my bedroom when I was a little girl but I don't think I ever had more fun with crayons.

Ironically, I ended up going to Hobby Lobby later in the day because I was seized by a different idea.  So I could have bought a fresh white canvas--which may have looked better--but what can you do?

I picked Braeden up from work and we had burgers and sweet potato fries and our own concoctions from the Coca-cola Freestyle drink machine at The Blazing Onion.  I love that place.

We stopped by Redbox on the way home and rented The Guilt Trip.  It's about a neurotic, overbearing, adoring mother and her long suffering son so it seemed like a good fit.

Saturday morning Adam texted me a picture of Mark swimming in Alta Lake at 6:30 a.m.  Is this the same kid that complains about swim team being too early?

Just checking.

Braeden and I also went to Monsters University on Saturday afternoon when we were all done with our work like good kids.  The only other remotely palatable (to me) movie was the Superman movie.  Braeden said, "You don't want to see a superhero movie," and he was right. (Braeden would have preferred a different movie but he was OK going to a movie with a bunch of kids ten years younger than him.  He's a better boy than I deserve.)

I loved spending the weekend with my son.  It was a rare treat and I am a lucky girl.

3 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

I like that crayon art.

Robert Johnson said...

This is actually Marianne. Although I'm sure Robert would like it as well.

Olivia Cobian said...

I can't believe you had that many crayons and all of them were long and unbroken and still had their wrappers. My kids would kill for those crayons. Beware. They're coming for you.

Your art project turned out lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails