Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Good mother or bad mother?

At any given time there are armfuls of things out of place that our children have left out.  Braeden, the incredible sock dropper, also leaves books around and cereal bowls.  Emma is seldom at fault but occasionally she leaves something she drew or is reading around and she often leaves piano music askew.  Mark is the worst offender.  He steps out of his shoes and leaves them in the walkway.  He leaves Lego bricks and blankets and Nerf bullets and books and all sorts of things in his wake.

I am a broken record of nagging them to pick things up.

Then, I noticed something the other day.

These shoes (of mine) were in the living room:


These were by the front door (also mine):


These were in the family room (mine):

the photo isn't blurry Adam...those are blurry shoes

And these were in front of my dresser in my bedroom (yes and yes, mine):


This is not leading by example.  Or maybe it is leading by (bad) example.  It's sort of nice of everyone not to mention my shoes when I'm on a pick-up-your-stuff tirade.

So sometimes my mothering is a fail.  Other times I give myself credit for our children's awesomeness.  (They probably either got it from Adam or came that way but sometimes I let myself take credit anyway.)

Other times, I don't know if I'm being a good mother or a bad mother.

For example, at seminary graduation, the stake president asked the kids to raise their hands if they got themselves up and ready for seminary without their parents.  Braeden raised his hand high.  (Granted, he has long arms.) I felt like high fiving myself for having such a great kid that will get himself up so I can stay in bed.

Then I felt like hanging my head in shame (and I know my mom will be unhappy with this revelation).  I was sent off to seminary after eating a hot breakfast lovingly and cheerfully prepared by my mother.  I was raised better than this.

So I'm either a good mother:  yay!  Independent child!

Or a bad mother:  seriously, my mom made pancakes, french toast, biscuits, muffins, waffles...

Either way, today is the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!  Major cause for celebration.  I will love having more time with my messy children.  We can all pick up our shoes together.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You just did this post so you could show off all your cute shoes.

Thelma said...

Ha! Seems like I would have taken better pictures then...

Jennifer said...

You're a fabulous mother!! A fabulous mother with cute shoes! Hooray for the last day of school.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails