Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Big boy bed

We've known for awhile that we needed a solution to Braeden outgrowing his bed.  (And really, what were we thinking when we bought him a bed with a foot board?)  We talked about the options ranging from buying a new bed to cutting the slats off the foot board to cutting off Braeden's legs.  (OK, not the last one.)

It was in a state of nothing happening until yesterday when I dove deeply into deep cleaning the boys' room.  I stripped their beds of everything and moved them and vacuumed under them and dusted every little slat under the mattress.  (I'm a lot of fun--just ask my sons.)  I even used the wood cleaner I saw on facebook which is basically salad dressing--vinegar and canola oil.

With everything taken apart, I decided it was prime time to do something about the slats on the foot of the bed.

I texted Adam and he said that he'd borrow a special saw from his mom.

I am impatient though and I had everything taken apart already so I sent Braeden to the garage for a saw and removed the first slat.  I texted Adam a picture.

Then I removed two more slats.  It is surprisingly enjoyable to saw a bed to pieces.


Notice Mark in the background tightening screws.  He loves that kind of stuff.  He realized some were loose after we removed the mattresses.  He said, "I'm going to go get an IKEA screwdriver."

He meant an allen wrench.  The fact that he calls an allen wrench an IKEA wrench made me realize we have a lot of stuff from IKEA and we haven't been there for awhile and I want to plan a trip.

Braeden lay on the bed and swooned and stuck his big feet out the end of bed and stretched and was supremely happy.



I texted a picture to my brothers so they could see what a good mother I am.  I knew they would appreciate Braeden's pain sleeping on a too short bed.  I was thinking they would congratulate me on my brilliant solution.

Enoch accused me of child abuse and told me to buy him a bigger bed.

So I guess the point of this post is that you shouldn't buy a bed with a foot board if you have a son who isn't done growing but if you do, you can borrow my saw.  Also, don't expect any kudos from my brothers.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Good job with that saw!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails