Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pizza quest, part 3

A great thing about having a pizza quest is that if you are (for example) up to your elbows in paint (for example) because you are manically painting a room and its trim all in one afternoon (for example) it is nice to tell your husband that it is a good night for the pizza quest.  And of course, another good thing is to have a husband who is wonderful and heartily agrees with you and doesn't mind the paint up to your elbows thing. (He even helped me finish up painting.)

I really am a messy painter.  I had paint on my face and arms and fingers and toes.  It didn't help that I was painting a bathroom which is my least favorite room to paint because of all the stuff you have to paint around.  Also, my siblings stole all the height in our DNA and left me with none.  I had to climb on the edge of the tub and stand on the sink to reach things and neither of those things helped with the messiness.

I won't begrudge them the height though (too much) because I do have an easier time finding clothes.  So there's that.

Also, in addition to being a messy painter, I am really good at tangents.

So, the pizza.

First we hunted for a coupon to Romio's because we knew we had one floating around somewhere.  We found it (in the door to the van, driver's side).  We drove to Romio's and the parking lot was suspiciously empty.  Turns out the restaurant has closed.

"How many times do we drive by here and we didn't know it was closed?" I asked Adam.

"Maybe that's the problem," he said.  Poor Romio's.  Nobody notices.  And we had a coupon and everything.

We drove around the lake a few hundred feet to Amante.  We only had Mark with us.  (He is quickly becoming my favorite because he is the only one that will stay home with me.  Teenagers are fickle and nomadic.)

Amante is a sit down restaurant so it provided me opportunity to critique the restaurant's atmosphere. (Which is one of my favorite parts of eating out.  My dream job would be redecorating restaurants.)  I gave it big points for  having Frank Sinatra music playing.  I liked the black and white photos on the walls and the wine colored curtains and upholstery.  They carried the wine theme a little far with kitschy signs (like you'd buy at a craft fair) about wine and glowing grapes along the walls.



This photo wasn't taken by me, I found it on the internet, but they had a lot of signs like this:


Almost as cheesy as their cheese pizza.  (What a segue!)

The cheese pizza was too cheesy.  I like cheese as much as any American (but not American cheese) but not too much!  Especially when it's melted.  A little goes a long way.

Their specialty was the Amante Specialty (really, that was the name).  I wouldn't have ordered it because it had prosciutto and sausage and the like on it and I usually prefer pizza with vegetables but it was quite good.  I liked it much more than I thought I would.


Adam thought there was too much basil but I'm not sure that is a thing.  I love basil.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

There's a word called kitschy?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails