Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Made of tough stuff

That's the Johnson girls.  Oral surgery does not slow them down.

Clarissa had her wisdom teeth out on Friday.  Meanwhile Carolina and Morgan played with Mark.  They played wild games with Nerf guns and zombie attacks until they knocked pictures off the wall and their cranky mom/aunt made them stop.  It was a pleasure to have them though.  They are sweet kids and wanted to know how they could help me make lunch.  Teach my children to ask how they can help make lunch?  That's what I would like.

Carolina and I spent a little time together assembling bracelets in a continuation of the project Desi and I worked on.  I'm bringing it all to Thanksgiving.  We'll all have matching bracelets.  Family solidarity.  Carolina outlined all the Christmas gifts she was planning to give people.  She doesn't mess around.

After surgery, Clarissa took a brief nap.  She was slightly groggy but pretty much her normal cheery self.  Emma was planning to go to a movie that night with some friends and invited Clarissa along.  Marianne wasn't convinced it was a good idea but part of my duty as an aunt--and it's a duty I take very seriously--is to undermine their mothers.  So I talked Marianne into it.

They went to Mockingjay and had a melodramatic, emotional time.  I love the teenage girls in my life... but I love not being a teenage girl.

Braeden had a date (still weird for me to say that...he's just a baby!) so I spent my evening with my two favorite Friday night dates, Adam and Mark.  We went to Big Hero 6 and loved it.  I love sitting between them at the movie theater.  I feel like a lucky girl.

Adam bought us a peppermint milkshake at Chick-fil-a after which may be one of the best things that has ever happened to me. 

Saturday was every introverts dream.  The house was quiet while teenagers slept in.  I wrapped Christmas presents and cleaned the school room.  I have a terrible habit of piling stuff up on Mark's desk.  In my defense it's because my desk is piled so high that what's a girl to do?  I need to pile somewhere...

We had to speak in church on Sunday so time was also spent on Saturday working on preparing our talks.  Clarissa had a paper to write so there was a person on a laptop everywhere you looked.  The house was quiet and peaceful and cozy and it was the kind of day that is restorative to my soul.

That evening Adam and I went car shopping again.  We took Braeden.  He loves to have his finger in pots like that and I wanted to put him in the backseat and see if he fit.  Adam got close to pulling the trigger on a car.

It had more features than he was interested in and so had a higher price than he was looking for.  There was a lot of negotiating and game playing.  The salesman kept trying to get me on his side and I endeavored for impartial facial expressions.  I thought neutral Swiss thoughts.  The salesman offered that Braeden could go watch TV and Braeden said, "No, this is fun."  He hung on every word of the negotiations and made cheeky comments and sent me looks that made me laugh. 

It is a frustrating process for me because I'm impatient at my core and ready to not be Braeden's chauffeur any longer.  I also want Adam to get just the car he wants, even if it means ordering one and waiting a few months.  Finally, I was impressed with Adam.  He is the definition of a tough customer.  I was sitting across the table from him and thinking yeah, his mind is razor sharp.  I married a smarty pants who can do a lot of math in his head.  He also can empty a situation of emotion and be very rational.  I can't.  At all.  So I always feel a certain degree of awe.

Impatience and admiration.  It's a confusing mixture.

(We ended up walking away but time will tell.  We may go back this week.)

In the meantime, there's this:


I walked out my bedroom door Sunday morning to this sight.  Every day the view first thing in the morning makes me happy.


1 comment:

Marianne said...

Your home is always peaceful and lovely. I think that is why my girls recovered so quickly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails