Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Over the river and through the woods

For many years we've had Thanksgiving at Geri's house.  It's always wonderful.  We'll miss being there.  We will miss the little pilgrim place cards, Brian's deep fried turkey, the puzzle set up in the living room, the delicious food, the good company...

We've spent Thanksgiving at my grandma's a few times since we've been married, but this will be only the second time we'll spend Thanksgiving in Nevada.  We went there the first year we were married.

I am excited.

I know the food will be good.  I know I'll laugh a lot.  I know my sisters and I will hen peck Enoch because he's the only brother that will be there.  (Poor kid.)  I'm looking forward to it all.

Last year at this time, we thought we were stuck like glue in our lives.  I would have been shocked if someone had told me what was on our horizon because it was completely unexpected.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I can't help but look back with gratitude though.

I'm grateful for the people that helped us along our way.  I'm grateful for my dear friends that supported and sustained me and listened when we were making a heart wrenching decision.  I'm grateful for all the help Geri gave us, even though she didn't want to see us go.  I'm grateful for the job Adam now has that he enjoys.  It matters.  I'm grateful for the kind friends who have opened their circles and let our kids in.  I'm grateful for new opportunities for them, including but not limited to being the new person.  I think they'll be more aware of people on the outside of things now.  I hope we all will be.  I'm grateful for my family and the ways big and small they assist us.  I'm grateful for the wonderful gift their proximity is.

Sometimes I ache because I miss our old life so much.  I can't help but think that is a blessing too.  What a wonderful life we've had.  How sad it would be if you could move to another state and not be a little heartbroken.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me teary. I'm so glad this year has brought you closer to us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails