Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Sunshine

This morning Adam had to get up at an unholy hour for work.  They were launching sites in Germany and the U.K. (which sounds like maybe he works in the space program...he doesn't).  What that meant for me was that I had to drive the kids to school.  In my pajamas.  Fingers crossed I don't get a flat tire at a time like that.

Braeden and Emma got out of the car.  He held her guitar while she gathered everything else, then balanced her while she put her shoe back on.  Emma said, "It's a rough morning."

Braeden said in his steadying way, "I got you."

As I was pulling away, a much shorter and younger looking boy approached my kids.  I've never met him so I know he's not one of Braeden's good friends, but he extended his hand to Braeden and looked up at him admiringly and Braeden was jaunty and friendly and my heart swelled.

Every time I see people reaching out (this time literally) to my kids and being kind and seeing my children happy and comfortable, I am filled with joy.  If you could have been here the first days of school, you would know why.

It was bad.

Yesterday Olivia and her family were in town too.  We all met up at the Museum of Natural Curiosity.  The kids and Edgar went inside (bless him) and Marianne and Olivia and I sat on a couch outside and visited.  Sitting on a couch between my sisters is a happy spot.  After, Mark and Ruben and I went to get Adam at work and then we met up for dinner along with Ammon and Melanee and company.

Mark and Ruben are a lot alike.  Olivia thinks it's because Ruben gets Mark's hand-me-down clothes. On the freeway they were shooting at cars with guns made out of their fingers.  They played a rousing game of who would win in a fight--they would name two random characters from movies.  They talked a lot.  And not necessarily to each other.  At one point Mark was telling Ruben about the events of September 11--because they'd been talking about Navy SEALs.  Ruben said, "Did I tell you what I want for my birthday?"

Mark went on with his tale and Ruben went on with his list and they were both happy.

I was dizzy.

Things are pretty good though.

  


2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Ruben wants a Navy SEAL set for Christmas. Maybe their conversation was related? I love it that those boys are so similar! Thanks for the hand-me-downs!

Olivia Cobian said...

PS: I just noticed that the black blight on your blog has disappeared. Congratulations!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails