Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Too cold to rise or shout

Ammon and Melanee invited us to the BYU football game with them.  I haven't been to a football game there since I was a BYU student so I was looking forward to it.  (Also, since I've been married to Adam, I have a vague idea of how football works now as opposed to when I was 18 and didn't understand much of anything.)

Here's was the forecast for game night:


Which is extra exciting when your furnace doesn't work.

We bundled up warmly and Melanee and I pushed feet warmers on our reluctant and skeptical husbands.  It was a "blackout" game so we appropriately wore black.


Ammon took that picture.  No one can do the long armed selfie like Ammon.  The kid has long arms.

Not surprisingly, the game was sort of sparsely attended.



It was cold.

Seriously cold.

We cheered for our alma mater and as is the custom, stood and sang the BYU fight song every time they scored.  Melanee and I decided we looked a little like deranged seals slapping our mittens together as we clapped in time to the music, but hey, the BYU fight song, you have to.

We decided we could make it to half time and then we'd call it a night.  Shortly before the half, BYU was about to score, Melanee said, "I'm not standing for the fight song."  I told her I wasn't either.  It was not worth getting any colder.  BYU scored and Adam and Ammon valiantly stood up on either side of us.

They are stalwart, brave and true. (For the white and blue.)

We beat a hasty retreat to Ammon's Denali that has remote start which is such a bonus at times like that.  We headed to dinner and slowly peeled off layers as we slowly thawed.  We waited around for a table and on our way to being seated, I thought I saw our cousin David across the restaurant.  We hadn't seen him in over ten years, but I recognize people.  It's my super power.  I took another look and yes that was David with his brother Craig.

I explained to Ammon, who was mocking me in a very disrespectful way, that I'm a super recognizer.  (Little brothers!)

After we ordered, we traipsed across the restaurant and visited with our cousins.  They were shocked and surprised to see us especially when I told them I live here now.

We chatted a minute, trying to decide when we'd last seen each other and they gaped at the fact that I have a senior in high school--neither of them have children.  Then we talked a little about a memory our grandma gifted us with that will always be a bright spot in all of our collective childhoods.  Remember our Disneyland trips?  We laughed about Enoch and Craig and their cut throat and misguided competitiveness when we played Rook on the bus my grandma chartered for us each time.
It's fun to run into cousins.

And it's fun to hang out with Ammon and Melanee, even though Ammon doubts my super powers.


2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

It was David and Enoch who bid each other up when they were on the same team. Craig and I were the opposing team and we egged them on.

Thelma said...

I knew it was Enoch and somebody!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails