Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Another nail in the coffin

My mom was asked to be in charge of their ward's Christmas party.  She asked my opinion.  "Cancel it," I said.  (I don't like ward Christmas parties.)

My nieces were shocked.  (Unlike their aunt, they're all normal, social girls.)

Later, the girls were talking about Christmas caroling.  I said, "I hate Christmas caroling."

More shock.  And horror.  I tried to explain, "I don't like it when people come Christmas caroling to me, so I don't feel comfortable going Christmas caroling."

That only made it worse; they were further astounded.  Clarissa, sweet girl that she is, offered a consolation to try to raise me in everyone's estimation.  "You do make fudge though."

(Their mom doesn't make fudge at Christmastime.  I appreciate every time Marianne doesn't do something because it gives me a fighting chance to measure up.)

Later, something came up about the music from "The Forgotten Carols."  I foolishly said I didn't like those songs.  (Seriously.  Just kill me now rather than moan about crying every time you take the tree down, but I should keep these thoughts to myself.)

Clarissa's, Deseret's and Liberty's jaws dropped.  I could see it on their faces, "What is wrong with you?!?"

I don't think the fudge is enough anymore.

Here's something else, girls.  At church they announced an upcoming Relief Society ornament exchange.  You girls probably think they make the holiday complete but I don't like ornament exchanges either.  I avoid them.  I would rather pick out my own ornament than be gifted with some bizarre thing I would never hang on my tree.

I know, I'm sort of a jerk. But don't hate me, girls.

I do make fudge.

Also, this shirt:


One of my offspring outright laughed at me, another thought it "looked creepy," and the third said it was "quite a shirt."

I think it's festive.  And possibly makes up for some other yuletide failings?

5 comments:

Marianne said...

Possibly

Marianne said...

This is Hyrum. And I would much rather have fuge than go christmas caroling. :)

Adam said...

Caroling would be better if people just stood in a circle on your porch and you were expected to join in. Otherwise, it's like going to an awkward play and being the only person in the audience, only they decide to put you on the stage instead so every can watch your reaction. It's not natural.

Jennifer said...

I loved this post.

Olivia Cobian said...

Your Santa shirt reminds me of Jeremy's head (from Studio C) sticking out of the back of other people's shirts. If you wear it when people carol to you, they'll be the uncomfortable ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails