Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

My tribe

The novelty of being around my family more has not worn off.

Wednesday night, Tabor was passing through and stayed with us.  (He brought a gallon of milk for Braeden.  He said it was like how some people bring a hostess gift of wine.) He arrived while I was gone with the young women from church and Ammon came over too.  They had brownies to eat which I'd had Mark make earlier because I decided he had to know how to make brownies.

Everyone does.

It was nice to come home to my brothers.  We visited awhile and Tabor regaled us with stories--like the time he confronted some people in The Golden Corral who were using loud profane language.  He was there with kids from church, they had just been to the temple in St. George.  (Being there with kids made him more feisty.  Papa bear.) He kept thinking that the employees would do something but they didn't.  Tabor decided if he heard the f word one more time he would say something.  He said he didn't have to wait long.  Tabor is tall and perhaps menacing looking if you don't know him too well but he said the other guys were big so he was assessing his options if it turned into a fight.  He decided the chairs were heavy and he could use one as a weapon.  (Who does that?  Tabor.)

After talking to Tabor the rudeness ended though.  Tabor probably had the look in his eye of someone who had a back up plan if need be.

We laughed a lot and Braeden asked my brothers who was the bossiest sister growing up.  They diplomatically said they didn't know.  (Probably because the answer is all three.)

We talked a little about high school and Tabor described a time he put a teacher in a head lock.  "That probably wasn't OK," he said.  Ammon remarked that he had to do some damage control to recover teachers' good graces after Tabor.

I had a horrifying thought.  What if Ammon had been the oldest child!?!  The perfect one, first, and then we'd all have to live up to that.

Wow.

After Ammon left and everyone else had gone to bed, Tabor and I stayed up way too late talking.  For all of Tabor's toughness--and I really think he is the toughest person I know--he is such a good and kind soul.  We talked about a lot of things that matter a lot to us.  Things like why we go to church even when it's not that easy.  He encouraged me like he's been doing my whole life even though he's eight years younger than I am.  He made me laugh.

And then I made him go to bed.  Sheesh.  I need my beauty sleep.

Tonight we are going to the phenomenal Clarissa's concert at BYU.  I am excited.  Marianne and family, Ammon and family, we're all getting together for dinner beforehand.

I like these guys. 

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

There's no buddy like family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails