Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Winter moon

One big benefit of living somewhere where the skies are clear is the moon.

The silvery mystical moon.  It's magical.

One morning, I saw it out the window.  I had seen it the night before too and it made me happy that it had been up there, watchful, while I slept.



I wanted to take a picture but I didn't want to go outside.  The Christmas tree was in the way but then I thought maybe it was a nice touch.

I don't know. This will be a shock to exactly no one, but I'm not really a very fancy photographer.

At Clarissa's concert a few weeks ago, all four choirs accompanied by the philharmonic orchestra performed Carol of Joy.  It was incredible and with tears streaming down my face, I decided it was my new favorite Christmas song.

Carol Of Joy
by Eileen Berry

Green leaves all fallen, withered and dry;
Brief sunset fading, dim winter sky.
Lengthening shadows,
Dark closing in...
Then, through the stillness, carols begin!
Oh fallen world, to you is the song--
Death holds you fast and night tarries long.
Jesus is born, your curse to destroy!
Sweet to your ears, a carol of Joy!
Pale moon ascending, solemn and slow;
Cold barren hillside, shrouded in snow;
Deep, empty valley veiled by the night;
Hear angel music--hopeful and bright!
Oh fearful world, to you is the song--
Peace with your God, and pardon for wrong!
Tidings for sinners, burdened and bound--
A carol of joy!
A Saviour is found!
Earth wrapped in sorrow, lift up your eyes!
Thrill to the chorus filling the skies!
Look up sad hearted--witness God's love!
Join in the carol swelling above!
Oh friendless world, to you is the song!
All Heaven's joy to you may belong!
You who are lonely, laden, forlorn--
Oh fallen world!
Oh friendless world!
To you,
A Saviour is born!

Pleasant Grove High School had their Christmas concert this week.  I loved it.  (And I saw it three times so I feel like I am qualified to have an opinion.)  They performed three times to packed houses. One of the choirs there sang Carol of Joy too.  The concert was a wonderful celebration of Christ's birth.  I learned that when you live in Pleasant Grove, Utah,  they don't have a generic "Winter Concert."  It's about Christmas.  The next time someone wonders if Mormons are Christian, send them to the Pleasant Grove High School Christmas concert.

Here's a far away shot of the Advanced Women's Choir.  Emma's there.  I promise.


Unfortunately Emma was sick but she rallied and still participated in her concerts.  It was terrific that Grandma Geri, Grandma and Grandpa Dahl, Ammon and Melanee, Clarissa and Tabor and Katie and their girls were all able to come to the concert.

We are lucky kids.


1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I was so excited when I saw this! Carol of Joy is my new favorite Christmas song too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails