Pages

Monday, March 2, 2015

A banner day

I have been telling Braeden to get a job.  I cajoled and hassled and reminded him.  I made loose threats that were effective enough that he picked up a few applications and dropped them back off, but that was it.

The boy loves to be social and that usually includes lunch out with a selection of friends.  (Open campus!  What were they thinking!?!)  Also, he never has homework.

He needed a job.

So then Adam talked to him.  And Adam can be so...convincing.  He didn't even need to raise his voice (and he has a very encouraging Dad Voice).  The next day, Friday, Braeden told me he was going to go look for a job after school.

He was finally motivated.  When Braeden is motivated, things happen.  I told Marianne on the phone he'd probably have a job in two days.

It was more like two hours.  He is a proud KFC employee.  One of his friends works there also.  Adam and I both think he's crazy not to try to get a job teaching swim lessons.  It's more of a process to get a job because of certifications and the like and there are very few indoor pools around anyway.  Braeden wants to try this and I was all for letting him.  There's nothing like working in fast food to make you realize that isn't your life's work.  Sometimes on the job training is the best kind.

(Braeden went to an orientation on Saturday morning.  Among other things, he was instructed on what to do in case of a robbery.  Basically, don't be a hero.  Braeden said that he would tackle someone if they tried to rob him.  He wouldn't let them get away.  I said it wasn't worth it, he could be hurt or worse.  Braeden said it was worth it, then he could have KFC on his headstone.  Killed For Chicken.)

Back to Friday though.

That evening, we went to the school and watched Emma perform on the stage.  She and Braeden both were involved in performing scenes that the students in Drama 4 were directing.  (Braeden's had been Thursday night and he died on stage, which I am kind of opposed to.)  It was thrilling to watch Emma perform on stage.  It's something she's wanted to do for a long time. 

Afterward all the drama kids headed to JCW's for oversized milkshakes as is their custom and Adam and Mark and I headed home which is ours.  Adam and Mark were watching cricket, which Adam likes and somehow knows all about and I was on my computer doing something.  I happened to notice a new email had come in.

It was THE email.  The one from BYU we had been waiting for.  Braeden's admission decision.  In the email there's a link to the website where you can read your letter.  I immediately texted Braeden and told him to come home.  I told him The Email was here and I hadn't read it yet.

He didn't answer.

Because that's the thing.  You buy the cell phone, you pay for the data plan and then they ignore your texts.

So I called Emma.  No response.  (See above.)

So I called Braeden.  He finally answered.  By that time Adam and Mark were there with me and we were buzzing with excitement.  Braeden said, "Just open it and read it to me."

We went back and forth several times, "Are you sure?"  "Yes, just read it to me."

For one thing, this was Braeden's deal.  He should be the one to read it.  For another thing, what if it was bad news?  There he was surrounded by a crowd of people.  For another thing, I wanted to know what the letter said and he kept telling me to read it so I did.

And he was accepted.

I started crying, because I am emotionally unstable and Adam had to finish the conversation with Braeden.

He got in!

It's what I've always wanted for him.  I loved BYU.  I want my children to have everything good in the world.  I knew, especially with Braeden's learning disabilities, that it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would get in.  The competition is stiff.  I was trying to be OK with his second or third choices.
But I guess my heart was sort of set on BYU.

I think his was too.  When he got home, I was walking down the stairs and he was bounding up to see me.  He hugged me long and hard.

It was a pretty great day.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

This made me cry although I'd already heard the story. Go Cougars!

Olivia Cobian said...

Rise and shout! I'm in tears too...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails