Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Living in PG

source

We live in a unique place.  Mormons Mormons everywhere.  There's still a degree of diversity amongst us; everyone isn't the same, but it always surprises me when I realize how much I have in common with nearly everyone I meet.

At the doctor's office and dentist's office, when I took Braeden for his pre-mission checkups, the doctors and nurses knew all about missions.  They talked about where they had served, where their kids are serving, where Braeden would like to go.  It gives me a we're-all-in-this-together feeling that is as surreal as it is nice.

During The Wizard of Oz, Braeden told me the cast prayed each night before the show.  Emma said the crew did the same.  Braeden added that the boys would go in their dressing room, share a scripture and say another prayer.  No adult was telling them to do any of it, they are just kids who pray. 

One night, there was a question and answer session for the cast.  Someone asked the tin woodsman how he held so still at the beginning of his scene when he's rusted.  He said, "I hold my breath and then pray a lot."

A few nights ago, Braeden asked us to pray for the kids doing a one act scene at the drama regional competition.  "OK," I said.

Braeden said, "Micah is in the scene and asked me to pray for him."

I wonder how many prayers are said in that school on a daily basis?

Probably the same amount as I say when I drive.  This place is crazy.

The other day, I was driving down the hill, propelled more by gravity than the lead foot Adam says I have (honestly...maybe).  I saw three police cars parked in a little speed trap formation.  Yikes!  I pushed on the brakes.  I had been going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone.  I was sure I was going to get a ticket, but the police let me glide on by.

Right of ways, turn lanes, lane lines, speed limits, cell phone laws, they are all irrelevant.  I don't know what is taught in driver's ed. besides, "Good luck." Sometimes I wonder just what you would have to do to get a ticket around here.

No wonder everyone prays so much.


1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I love this!!!! Mormons are pretty great. :) BYU sure is great! Lots of praying here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails