Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Tender mercies

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

1 Nephi 1:20

So guess what?  I'm the new Young Women president at church.   Coincidentally, I have had a headache for three days.

I'm sure the two things are not at all related.

I have about 40 girls that I'm in charge of.  They are 40 girls with vastly different talents and interests and maturity and confidence and family situation and life experiences.  They scare me and I love them.  And I'm pretty sure most of them don't like me.

It's a confusing time for all of us.

I said OK when I was asked to serve.  I didn't do it because I wanted to, I did it because I was asked.  So I'll do it.  Something happens when you do what you're asked by someone who you believe to be inspired by God.  You're blessed.  The blessings come in a variety of ways.  One of them is this crazy love you feel for the people you're serving.  It's not because of anything they've done.  I think it's because when I pray, I get a little inkling of God's love for them.

Another thing that happens is that happy tender mercies descend.

For example (and this is huge), I learned about Girls' Camp, you know the bane of my existence?  (I love NOT camping.) We're going to be staying in condos.  It's already arranged.  Condos!?!

And then there's Alyse.  She is this beautiful and extremely talented and confident girl who speaks with authority and poise.  She is one of my girls and through no merit of my own, loves me.  She tells me every time she sees me.  (She also hugs me.)  Braeden and Alyse are good friends.  I know that helps me in this situation, but that Alyse.  She brightens up my life.  It's amazing what one girl can do for a person.

Last night there was a choir concert at the high school, which is no small event.  The place was packed and the music was soul stirring.  How can so many talented singers live in the same geographic area?  Alyse is in the amazing and competitive chamber choir.  They knocked my socks off.  I found myself leaning forward in my chair because I wanted to absorb every note.  I didn't feel anxiety or my headache or anything.  I felt elevated by beautiful music.

Afterward, I hugged my Emma and told her that her choir was wonderful (they were).  Then I saw Alyse.  We hugged and she told me she loved me and she apologized for missing our first Young Women activity together, which is tonight (because she has a choir competition).  I said, "I know!  And you're the one who likes me."

Alyse looked me in the eye.  "They will like you," she said firmly, "they'll love you."

(What did I do to deserve Alyse?)


2 comments:

Megan said...

Condo's? Ok, I don't know how you managed to pull that off. Can you really even call it "Girls Camp"? God must love you.

Olivia Cobian said...

Of course they will love you! To know you is to love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails