Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Topsy turvy

Yesterday was a sort of unconventional day around here.  We still had school, it wasn't that crazy, but it was different.

For one thing, Braeden didn't have to go to school.  Every junior in the state was taking the ACT and every sophomore was taking the practice ACT.  Seniors were "strongly encouraged" to visit college campuses.

I think seniors shouldn't apply to colleges until after they graduate.  They are completely checked out, because they can be.  I doubt one senior visited a college campus.  Mine slept in (a little bit...Braeden is not very good at sleeping in).

At ten, Braeden and several of his friends (who were also not visiting college campuses) were going to meet at Kneader's for breakfast.  All morning we had watched a storm move toward us across the valley.  About the time Braeden was supposed to leave, it arrived.  With enthusiasm.


Braeden came up to the school room where we were having school and looked out the window.  "Maybe you shouldn't go," I said.

"Yeah," he said, "I don't think I should either."

He went to text his friends and I told him he could blame me (which I often say but my kids rarely seem to take me up on it).  "No," he said, "I don't need to blame you."

I told Braeden that it showed maturity and responsibility on his part to miss out on breakfast with his friends because of the weather.  Times like that make me trust him more.

Hours later, Braeden said, "Remember how you said I showed maturity and responsibility?  Will you tell Dad?"  Ever since the playground at our apartment complex in New Haven, CT, Braeden has been wanting to show Adam what he's made of.

He just tries to make me laugh, which is why it's a good thing you have two parents.

Around 11:00, I decided I had to take a nap.  For the previous several nights, I had had hours of insomnia and it was definitely catching up with me.  I handed my cell phone to Mark and told him to wake me up if Emma texted that she was ready to be picked up.  We reviewed all the reasons why he shouldn't wake me up.  1) If anyone in the world besides Emma calls or texts...don't wake me, I'll get back to them. 2) If you are bleeding to death...get Braeden, he knows first aid. 3) If the house is on fire...let me sleep.  That would be a nice warm way to go.

Stuff like that.

A few minutes after I lay down, Mark came in with the news that Emma was done.  I dragged my cranky self to the school and got her.  (It occurs to me that I should have had Braeden go get her.  It was not snowing much anymore.  That shows how tired I was.  I wasn't thinking...)

Anyway, I did get a fifteen minute nap after we returned and that set me up.  Usually that's all I need to recharge for a few more hours.

Then I made everyone pancakes and rejoiced that my big kids were here for lunch.  I love that.

In the afternoon, we dropped Mark off at Adam's office (which is pretty much Mark's happy place), Braeden had his first day at KFC, and Emma and I headed to Southtowne Mall to meet up with Olivia and Liliana.

It was Lili's birthday and she got her ears pierced.  She was very stoic about it and didn't even flinch.  That impressed Emma.  Emma is a world class flincher.



See the earrings?  Me either, but they are there.

 
We did a little shopping.  I am the only one of the four of us that likes to shop so I felt like I had a big responsibility.  Emma is usually a happier and more successful shopper when we are with other people and true to form, she found a few pretty dresses at Down East. (we love that store!)

After the Cobians left (Edgar was there with the boys too--they spent time at a little playground while we shopped), Emma and I walked around the mall a little waiting for Adam to be done with work.  The shopping mojo was gone and she wasn't interested in one thing.  I found a BYU shirt for Braeden, because BYU! and I found a jacket for myself.  I have a problem and it's called I have way too many jackets.

But it was really cute.

Adam told me about Mark at his office after we met up with them for dinner.  First, Mark walked in (I'm sure like he owned the place) and said to the receptionist, "Is Adam Davis in a meeting?"  She said she thought he was available so Mark went back to Adam's office.  Adam put him to work cleaning whiteboards to earn his soda from the cornucopia that is the break room.  Then Mark sat in on a meeting, climbed on top of the bus (there is a bus indoors right outside Adam's office) to read, played darts and played on a drum kit.  At one point, he found Adam and said, "There's some fried rice in the fridge in the break room, can I have that?"

No.

When I compare either of my sons at twelve to the way I was at twelve, I wonder if they were adopted.  I was as shy as they are not shy.

We ended the day at Smashburger which is always a good thing and I went to bed early which is also a good thing.

Your day doesn't have to be conventional to be a good one.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails