Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Weekend stuff

New stuff:

Emma was an extra for a movie that was filmed locally.  She had a great time and earned $10/hour.  She was supposed to wear nineties clothes.  She found some of Adam's old shirts in Braeden's closet.  (Braeden's closet is kind of like a costume room.)

Good stuff:

Braeden's school team placed 2nd in the state drama competition.  He performed a dramatic monologue.  He too had a great time (but did not earn $10/hour).

Adam and Mark and I sat on the deck Saturday night (under blankets because it was cold).  We talked and laughed and played a guessing game and looked out over the city lights.

Same old stuff:

Braeden and a contingency of his friends descended on the basement with boxes of pizza and 2 liters of soda.  (I can't decide if I like our basement or deck more.)

Hard work stuff:

Adam and the kids weeded our entire yard.  He took them to the Purple Turtle for milkshakes to reward their efforts.  I went too.  I hadn't helped weed, but the Purple Turtle! Milkshakes!

As for me, I kept my nose to the grindstone and crossed at least every pressing item off my to do list.  When does that happen?  Rarely.  I'm pretty sure I deserved the milkshake after all.

Nevada stuff:

Sunday was quite a day.  I had early meetings starting at 7:00 and I was in a skirt and heels until about 10:00 that night.  Phew.

I spoke in church (I cried).

I taught a lesson (I cried).

As soon as church was over we (Adam, Mark, Clarissa and I) went to Nevada.  It is such a wonderful thing to be so close!  We had a typical delicious and generous spread that only my mom can offer.

("Have more!" she urges.  Well, if you insist.)

We headed to Elko for a production of Savior of the World.  It's a musical drama about the birth and resurrection of Christ.  My own Marianne directed it.  Olivia was in it (sang a solo) as well as Desi, Liberty, Hyrum (sang a few solos), Lili, Ruben and Carolina.

(By the way, Marianne didn't do the casting.  All those kids got in on their own merit!)

It's been what they have all been living and breathing for awhile as they've been preparing.  It was phenomenal.  They were all just wonderful.

And I cried.

Then I looked over at Enoch who was on my left.  He was surreptitiously wiping a tear or two.  My dad was on my right, on the other side of Adam and he too was crying.  So I can't help this genetic defect and I blame my dad.

I hugged my beautiful and vastly talented sisters after the production and we all cried some more and I love those girls.  They are a blessing in my life.  They make my life happier and then when things aren't so happy, they carry part of the burden for me so it's not as heavy.  Sisters.  They live up to the hype.

Back at my parents' house we visited in their cozy living room.  I think just being in their house lowers my blood pressure.  My mom tried to push more brownies on me but I was just thirsty so ice water it was.  A pitcher.  My mom doesn't mess around when it comes to being a hostess.

The next morning it was French toast and fresh raspberries and whipped cream.  My sisters came over to visit for a little while then we headed to Wells and saw Enoch and Jennifer's new house.  It is lovely!  We discussed furniture placement and I told Enoch why my ideas were better than his.  (My birthright as his older sister and he loves it or tolerates it.  One of those two.)

Enoch and Adam went outside to contemplate the sprinkler system, Mark ran around like a crazy banshee with his cousins and Jennifer and I sat at the table in her sunny kitchen and chatted.  It's possible we both cried.

Just a little.

It happens when you talk about those near and dear things with people that are near and dear.

And Jennifer is.

We made it back to our mountain home by late Monday afternoon.  It was good to be reunited with Braeden and Emma and then I rehydrated.

Which you need after all that crying.



2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails