Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Small victories

Yesterday we had a storm move in.  A big one.  Utah has all four seasons, sometimes all in the same day.  That meant wind.  I think someday we may end up in Oz.  (I may get some ruby slippers out of the deal.)

First the air filled with dust then it rained mud, then it snowed.


I'm not sure if this picture adequately shows how really dirty the window is.  It was not raining or snowing at the time of this picture.

In preparation for the storm, I gathered up all the cushions on the deck furniture and stowed them close to the door and under cover.  I slid all the furniture against the house.  A few nights before, the wind had been strong enough to blow the furniture all around.

At lunch I told Mark that I had battened down the hatches.

"What?" he said.

I explained it's an idiom.  I explained it referred to preparing a ship for a storm.  I gave him a few examples.

"So you did this to get ready for Girls' Camp?"

What?

"No."

I started over.  I explained the idiom.  I pointed to the ominous sky.  I showed him the deck.

(Have you ever tried explaining idioms to a skeptical twelve year old?)

He finally got it though.

It's the small victories.

Both boys got haircuts.  They really needed it.  A few nights ago, Braeden and Mark were on the trampoline and the static electricity that resulted only emphasized the bush like monstrosity that was Braeden's hair.  He did what he does though and took a selfie and sent it to his friends.  One friend sent him back a picture of a Chia Pet.

So yeah, they needed haircuts.

And we got them done.

It's the small victories.

We sent Emma on her way to choir tour.  I felt a little apprehensive about sending my girl away.  So what that we were sending her to the Happiest Place on Earth.  I wouldn't be there to make sure she was happy and safe and all.  She's my baby girl!  Adam said, "Of all of our children she is the best equipped to handle something like this."

And of course that's true.  She is tough and responsible and sturdy.  She's got this.  I may have felt a teeny tiny bit like crying when I said good-bye.  But I didn't.

It's the small victories.

I made dinner!

It's been a while.  There's been a combination of busyness, laziness and very accessible takeout.

But last night, I made dinner.

It's the small victories.

Also, we haven't blown away.  Yet.

It's the small victories.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails