Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

7th grade day



Mark was up and showered and had his backpack ready to go (it had one empty binder, one empty Seahawks folder and a Seahawks notebook given to him by Grandma Geri).  I suggested a pencil and gave him a package of notebook paper to put in the binder.

Emma and Braeden got out of bed earlier than is their custom to wish him well.  Bleary eyed and with rock star hair, when Emma is up of her own fruition, you know she loves you.

Adam took Mark on his way to work.  I told Mark I would take him if he wanted me to but I was glad he decided it would be just as easy for Adam to take him.  Nobody wants to be dropped off at the junior high by a sobbing mother.  Keep that nonsense at home, behind closed doors.

The tearful good-bye.  You'd think he was going off to war.  (I'm pathetic.)

Braeden and Emma wrapped arms around me after they left.  "Are you going to be OK?" Emma asked with her worried voice.

"Being a mother is the worst," I said into Braeden's chest.  He patted my back and Emma went back to bed, apparently satisfied I would survive.  Braeden and I had leftover strawberry shortcake for breakfast out on the deck.  Adam called and I said, "How was Mark?"

"He was alive when I left him," Adam said.  Which is exactly why you need a dad and husband because they don't get too worked up about things.

Here's the picture Adam took of Mark going into the school. (Because can you document too many things?  Isn't this why we were saved for these latter days?  So we can take a million pictures of our children with our phones?)



We picked Mark up and he bounded in the van.  In answer to our query, he said, "It was awesome!"  He told us all about his day while we drove to Zupa's for a celebratory lunch.  I kept having to get Braeden and Emma to stop talking so we could hear Mark's tale.  The hazards of being a youngest child.

I texted this picture to Adam.

sunburned cheeks from weeding the day before...I had to get work out of him while I could

Adam texted back that he wished he could join us.  Then he got in his car and did.  We were just leaving and there was only time for quick hugs all around.

These are times to remember though.  These last fleeting days, when we are five.

photo credit:  Deborah Berrett

I love that picture.  It feels like, "Mark?  We've got your back, kid."

3 comments:

Melanee said...

I was a bit weepy dropping Cormac at kindergarten. When I went to see my doctor later he asked how I was and I told him I'd just dropped off my oldest. I was a bit emotional. He responded,"my oldest daughter just dropped her son off to college. I'm so tired of hearing her complain about it. It's not like she dropped him off at the Huntsman. It's just college. He's fine." Ok doc. Well when you put it like that I guess public school isn't so bad. He's funny.

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad I'm not with your doctor, Melanee! I'm weepy just thinking of little Cormac and not-so-little Mark off for their first days of school!

Marianne said...

What lovely posts. And Emma looks so lovely on her first day shots.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails