Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

The struggle is real

I needed to go to Deseret Book to pick up a Young Womanhood Recognition award.  It's a long name for the necklace the young women get when they complete their personal progress requirements.   I've gone to get the necklaces a few times so I know how the process works.

The lady working there did not.

I went back to the Distribution Center part of the store.  I explained my purpose.

"Oh," Store Clerk said, "Let me show you where they are."

So then I thought maybe they'd changed the system.

Store Clerk led me into the store, down the Young Woman aisle and showed me the torch necklaces.  They aren't any sort of award, just jewelry.


I explained again what I needed.

"We have chains?" Store Clerk said, sifting her fingers through the display of packaged chains.

Again, I need the Young Womanhood Recognition Award.

"Before," I said, "I had to get them in the back and only YW leaders can get them."

Store Clerk looked confused.

Store Clerk asked a fellow employee and Fellow Employee backed me up.  So then Store Clerk asked me for my phone number.  I told her and she said, "Thelma Davies?"

"Yes, " I said, "Well, it's Davis, but that's me."

"Oh."

Fellow Employee told her where to find the necklaces and she told me it would be $10.

"Before," I said, "they charged it to my ward rather than have me pay."  (Because the ward clerk lectures me if I mess stuff up like that.)

"Oh."  Fellow Employee was again consulted and again confirmed that I knew what I was talking about.

I told her the name of my ward (Grove Creek 6th Ward) and she typed it in.  She was unable to find it in her computer system though.

You guessed it, Fellow Employee was called over.

They studied the computer screen.

"I don't know if that is the correct name of the ward," Fellow Employee said.  "Maybe it's Grove."

So Store Clerk asked for clarification.  "Is it Growth Creek or Grove Creek?"

Growth Creek????

"Grove," I said, "like Pleasant Grove?"

"Oh."

So then she needed all my information again.  I told her my name and she said, "Right, but it's spelled like Davies, right?"

I said, "D-A-V-I-S."

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the pronunciation.

Saturday night a bunch of young women were over here for a party.  I was telling them the tale of getting the necklace.

"It was a struggle," I said.

Emma said, "Larisa, you only had to do all the Personal Progress requirements, my mom had to go get the necklace."

Touché.

It is probably a bigger deal to complete all the requirements.  I'm telling you though, it wasn't easy getting the necklace either.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails