Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Books I read in September 2016


A Small Fortune by Rosie Dastgir **

This book was about Pakistani immigrants living in England.  It was OK.  I wondered a lot if I was missing something culturally or if the author was trying to portray their culture in a negative light?  I don't know.  I want to expand my understanding of Muslim culture and this didn't quite fit the bill.  Maybe it did?  I would like to read something positive of Muslim culture I guess.



A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee **

This book is about a family that kind of imploded and how the parents put themselves back together.  It didn't end how I thought it would or maybe how I thought it should, but it was OK.



These Is My Words Nancy E. Turner ****

After two tepid books, I LOVED this one.  I had read it before but my book club read it and I was happy to read it again.  Like the cover says, it's the diary of a woman in the Arizona Territories.  So good.



Brick Lane by Monica Ali *

I gave Islamic culture in England another chance with this one.  These people were from Bangladesh.  I didn't like any of them.  I stopped reading halfway through.  



Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter *

I read this one for book club too.  It was a good story but some of it was repellent.  There were no female characters that weren't treated with some sort of sexism or crudeness.  At first it made me mad that the women were portrayed like that and then it bugged me that so many of the men were so horrible.  I think the author is probably not a very nice guy.  I don't recommend it. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails