Pages

Friday, September 2, 2016

One down, one to go

A year ago today, we dropped Braeden off at the MTC.

Do I looked shell shocked in this picture?


He's smiling and it looks like I am maybe trying to smile but can't entirely make it work.

It was rough.

It's been quite a year.  We five have weathered storms together and separately and I think we're actually closer as a result.

Yesterday I went to the dentist and because Utah County, we talked about missionaries.  The hygienist has one brother coming home in seven weeks and one in a year.  The dentist told me that although he was happy when his son came home, he was also a little sad.

I said, "I can't imagine being sad..."

He quickly clarified that he missed the great emails.

Hmm.

I like getting emails from Braeden, they're just no replacement for hugs.  Or his booming laugh or his uncanny ability to make me laugh.  I don't care how great an email is, I'd rather hear Braeden tell me how hungry he is and see his almost comic gratitude when I feed him.  I just want to sit next to the kid for awhile. 

I would love to find his dirty socks lying around.

I assume he'll be sad when he comes home.  He'll miss the good people he is getting attached to and he straight up loves Virginia.  I, on the other hand, will not be sad.

One more year.

But who's counting, right?

Braeden a few days ago.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails