Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Books I read November 2016


Longing for Home by Sarah M. Eden ***

I have newly discovered her as an author and I like her books.  The cover is painfully cheesy but the book wasn't.  It is about a young woman from Ireland who left home at an (perhaps improbably) young age and has been working her whole life to make enough money to return home and make amends.  She ended up in a small town in Wyoming where there was a population of Irish immigrants at war with the non Irish townspeople.  That seemed a little farfetched but what do I know?  I have only driven through Wyoming.  (And I got a ticket.)



The War That Saved Me by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley ****

This was YA fiction set in England during WWII.  The main character and her brother were evacuated out of London during the Blitz.  They had a horribly cruel mother and were much better off in Cornwall.  It was a good book. 




The Lake House by Kate Morton ****

Kate Morton books do not disappoint.  I love this book.  It made me exclaim out loud toward the end and it was the kind of book I had to tell Adam about.  It was also set in Cornwall.  It spanned generations and was about the mysterious disappearance of an 11 month old boy on Midsummer's Night in 1933.



The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls ****

I re-read this book for book club.  It is the memoir of the author's childhood and is QUITE the story.  I saw one of my book club friends and she said she enjoyed the book because it made her feel like a good mother.  You can't discount the value of that!  The worst parents you know are probably better than these parents.  I don't know, maybe you know really bad parents?  I also liked that first part of the book that was set in small western towns, like Battle Mountain, NV.  She was speaking my language!  I have been to the Owl Club!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails