Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

A weekend

I could just describe how I was a little cranky all weekend because my eyes hurt and I was cold (the mild winter we had lulled me into thinking it was spring soon and it's been cold/windy/snowy).

Despite my crankiness, the weekend had its moments though.

BYU had spring break on Friday.  And by spring break, they meant one day off (which was more than I got as a BYU student).

Braeden and a group of his friends went to Moab.



He sent me pictures that made me wish I were there too.



And he sent some pictures that made me glad I wasn't there.  And also, don't tell anyone you're related to me.



Emma sent this about noon:



I told her never mind.  Time to wake up.

Friday night Adam was refereeing regional church basketball games--the teams across the region travel less distance to play each other than my nieces and nephews travel to play in their own church building.  While he was doing that, Mark and I went to the Cannon Center and had dinner with Emma.

Mark brought a plate of chicken and vegetables that had had the life boiled out of them to the table and said, "This does not look like a gyro to me."

Emma said, "Mark, you got that from the Euro station.  E-U-R-O and gyro is spelled G-Y-R-O."

So Emma and I laughed at Mark and he drowned his sorrows in about five more plates of food.  All you can eat is a spectacular deal for Mark.

The three of us went to The Little Mermaid at the Hale Theatre.  I am always blown away by the shows they put on in that tiny space.  The sets and costumes were fabulous and the actors were talented and I love live theater.  The End.

Saturday both Braeden and Emma (and Braeden's roommate, Scott) spent the afternoon and evening here.  They did homework and Emma sat at the piano and sang (which is wonderful) and the boys played Heroscape which Mark had painstakingly set up and I combed Emma's hair while Adam and I watched Darkest Hour.

Yesterday in addition to church and a nap I worked a little on family history for a friend that I'm helping.  Her family is from England.  I know it's a small island, but they only have like four names in the entire country it seems.

Which one of these is the one she's related to?


They were born in the same year, in the same quarter, in the same county, in the same registration district and they have the same name--just different mothers.  It makes me a little crazy.

Also, I wonder if the reason Utahns stereotypically give their children wacky names is because they've done enough family history to know that there is value in a unique name....

Emma and Braeden came for dinner.  They told me they'd passed Grandma and Grandpa on the way.



We had dinner (which wasn't that good, the dinner, not the company), I gave them a survey of meals they like most because I'm going to have a list of 15 meals and just rotate through.  I'm tired of coming up with what's for dinner.  Mark was assigned to sing in church next Sunday so he got his siblings to sing with him.  They picked a song and practiced a little and hearing our children sing together fills my soul.  (I'm going to play the piano for them and that fills me in a different way.  Terror.)

Emma left early because she had choir practice and Braeden stayed a little later.

Adam and Braeden played this game that Adam invented.



The person up above drops a pillow on the person on the floor and the person on the floor tries not to flinch.

Then they throw the pillow back up.  During that part, I say threatening things about them hitting something and breaking it.


Does Milton Bradley know about these guys?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Core-Mark thing cracked me up!!

Mark Dahl said...

It could be worse, Thelma. In the YSA, the girls sit on the stage and drop spoonfuls of pudding into the boys mouths who are lying on the floor. They hardly ever hit their mouths. The boys have garbage bags over their chests and arms (in case you want to try it)

Your mom

Olivia Cobian said...

I love Core-Mark!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails