Pages

Monday, March 12, 2018

Saturdays are for the boys

Saturday we didn't go to the temple that is 10 minutes from our house but drove to Provo to pick up Braeden to go to the temple with him.  We drove toward the Provo temple, seeing lots of young BYU students dressed up and heading that way as well.

Braeden said, "The Provo temple will be really busy today, the City Center temple will too."  So we changed our minds and drove to the Payson temple, which is Braeden's favorite temple anyway, and less than a half hour from Provo.

All of this is to say that the ridiculous wealth of available temples is not lost on me and I'm grateful for all of them and for how busy they are.

Mark was along to do baptisms and when we were leaving Payson, he and Braeden decided to go see The Black Panther together that night.  Then, Braeden said, "Maybe I'll just go home with you and stay the night.  Can we just swing by my apartment for some things?"

The answer is always yes to Braeden coming home.

I said, "That's perfect because we are going to clean the garage this afternoon and you can help."

Braeden said, "Oh, well...never mind."  But he was joking because ever since that kid came home from his mission he's eager to help in any way he can and it's almost eerie.

Mark said, "I try to tell them Saturdays are for the boys but they don't understand."

"You don't even know what it's like to be a kid that has a lot of work to do," I said (because I'm the type of mother that likes to annoy her children).

Mark said, "All of my friends know Saturdays are for the boys.  None of them--"

Braeden interrupted him.  "Don't even try it, Mark.  With these two, it won't end well."

We fed them at 5 Star BBQ which I recommend if you're ever in Provo (I don't recommend the one on Geneva Road because I carry a grudge).

Before Adam ordered, Braeden asked him if they had Carolina BBQ.  Then when Adam asked him what side he wanted, Braeden said, "Hushpuppies."

I reminded Braeden that he is in Utah now.  So he got fries.  He did concede that Western cornbread is better than Southern cornbread and I have to agree, because sweeter is always better.

Cleaning the garage was quick work.  It's what happens when you have big boys.  They put stuff on top shelves and fixed bikes and Mark used the snow shovel as a dustpan for the dirt Adam was sweeping.

Then, Adam and I did some errands together.  Saturday errands with Adam is my happy place.

That night they went to the movie and Adam and I stayed home and watched an episode of Victoria.  We finally started early enough that I could last a whole episode.

Also while they were gone, we proved we really do know how to party and by party I mean change all the clocks.

I whined about it though.

For one thing, springing forward is the worst and for another thing, we have a lot of clocks and for another thing, Adam has PEC at 6:30 AM on Sunday morning.

"How many clocks do we even have?" I complained.  (And really, it is no one's fault but my own that we have so many clocks.)

Adam took pictures of the clocks as a way to count them:



Some of them were the wrong time leftover from Christmas which is a long story but they're all the same now.

Sunday morning the rest of us were walking around like zombies and when I walked by the bathroom where Braeden was showering, I heard him enthusiastically singing what sounded like opera in a high falsetto.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is our first born.

Emma came for dinner and we got caught up on her week.  We showed each other funny videos and decided which Winnie the Pooh character each of us were.  (I don't want you to think we're wasting our time over here.)  We took a walk and laughed a lot and played a few rounds of golf (the card game) which I lost decidedly.  I would have lost if it were the kind with grass and golf clubs too.

We sent Braeden and Emma back to BYU with hugs and food.

Saturdays may or may not be for the boys but sometimes I feel like weekends are tailor-made for Thelma.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Marianne. I'd like the verdicts about Winnie the Pooh characters, please.

Thelma said...

Adam: Christopher Robin
Thelma: Kanga
Braeden: Roo (probably, we were divided between that and Rabbit)
Emma: Winnie the Pooh
Mark: Tigger (unless you ask him about his school's schedule then he is the most Eeyore kid around)

Olivia Cobian said...

I love your family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails