Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Family Home Evening

Last night the sun was shining and Adam must be able to recognize when my vitamin D stores are depleting because he suggested a walk.  We met Braeden and Emma in Orem and took a little turn around a park.  Then we went to Zaxby's for dinner.

I ordered a sandwich.  I asked, "Can I get coleslaw instead of fries?"

"No," the girl behind the counter said flatly.  "The meal only comes with fries."

"I can't substitute coleslaw?" I asked.

"No."

I was looking at her and she was looking at me and Adam said, "Can she get just the sandwich?"

"Yes."

"OK," I said, starting again.  "Can I get the sandwich and a drink and a side order of coleslaw?"

She said yes.

Out of curiosity, Adam checked the receipt and the price of those three items was the exact price of the combo meal.

When the food arrived, there were fries alongside my sandwich.  There was also a side of coleslaw on the tray.

Adam said it was a Zaxby hack.  A way to get extra food.

"A Zax hack," said Mark.

"A haxby," said Emma.

I took a bite of the coleslaw and it wasn't good.  "I don't want that," I said, placing it in front of Adam.

"Now that's ironic," said Braeden.

Adam tried it and deemed it not good, as in, it had turned.  He returned with it to the counter and came back with celery sticks.

I'm not sure if it was still a Zax hack or even a haxby, but I like celery sticks so I went with it.

Emma told us about the medieval stained glass in the Chartes cathedral and Braeden talked about Aristotle and property rights.  Having kids in college elevates the conversation, until it doesn't.  Because things usually deteriorate.

Braeden said something to Mark while Mark was drinking and Mark nearly spewed and nearly choked but held it together.

Later, Mark said something to me and I had just taken a sip of ginger ale.  I almost died (which would have been a downside of the whole evening).  I was able to swallow before I laughed until I cried.

All three kids talked about how satisfying it is to make Adam or me laugh that hard.

I just hope they don't kill me in the process.

The BYU kids needed to leave to get back to their family home evenings on campus.  Braeden was skipping his regular FHE to meet instead with his French class.  "Why are you having family home evening with your French class?"  I asked.

"Because we like each other."  That's as good a reason as any.

We parted ways and hugged our big kids and we read more in The Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox on the drive home.  We have a surprising amount of nontraditional family home evenings with just Mark here.

Family is an evolving revolving door.  I never imagined ten years ago that this would be my reality.  I do like it though.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I didn't know Braeden was in a French class! Très sympa!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails